iPhone 3G Updated Firmware Makes Contacts Faster

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jw nyc, Jul 22, 2008.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

I updated my firmware (through the restore process) to build 5A347 (5A345 comes with the iPhone 3G) and my contact app is MUCH faster than it was before. I recommend anyone who hasn't already done so to update to the new firmware.

Anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about should read this article:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/07/13/hidden_iphone_3g_firmware_fixes_yellow_screens.html

I hope this also fixes the loss of SMS sounds at certain times but I will update when I have used it for a little more time.

2. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

That is most likely due to the restore process.. after running several days on the latest build of 2.0, my contacts app lags like it did before the restore.

Apple really needs to improve the stability of the firmware

3. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Definitely could be true. I guess I'll have to use it for a few days to confirm.

4. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

The latest 37 firmware still has lag "bugs" but it seems that many of these bugs come from sloppily developed 3rd party apps that cause memory leaks. These memory leaks fill up the main memory of the iPhone and do not go away even when the program is closed. A reset, however, will flush out the wasted memory and things will be back to normal. Apple is working on improving the SDK and taking a closer look at first time developer's code in an effort to reduce memory leaks and the resulting sluggishness.

5. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Users without 3rd party apps have experienced the slowdowns... and in a completely sandboxed environment, persistence of allocation should not be possible unless there is an OS or firmware bug... In other words, closing the 3rd part application should release all allocated... if it is not doing that there is an Apple bug as well.

6. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

I'm sure Apple has their own bugs to work out. If they fix memory leaks and the bad reception issue then i'll be a believer again