iPhone 3G upgrade status?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pennyroyal, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Pennyroyal macrumors member

I remember a while ago I saw a thread saying that iPhone 3G buyers were eligable for upgrades. But when I went to the AT&T store yesterday they said I wasn't eligable. I bough my iPhone 3G about a week after it came out. Am I missing something?

2. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

No one is 100% sure, the logical idea was that any of the 3g owners were not going to be eligible for the discounted price because they purchased a 3G at a subsidized price instead of full price. However, there has been a few rumors saying that 3G owners will be allowed to purchase this *new* iphone at the discounted rate. We may not know for sure until the WWDC so just wait and be patient.

ps. there are a bunch of threads around here, a quick search may give you a lot more insight.

3. Pennyroyal thread starter macrumors member

I was asking for myself more than the general public. A search didn't
    help me much.

4. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

No word yet. I do find it strange that I am eligible for an upgrade this July since I bought the 3G iPhone last July. I still think we'll be able to buy the new one if we extend our AT&T contract for another 2 years before it's all said and done. I doubt Apple will force all 3G users who want to upgrade to pay full price, because they will miss out on a lot of sales.

5. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

A thorough search would of presented you with plenty of help.

OH I'm sorry, I forgot that you get special privileges :rolleyes:

Why do you think you differ from the general public?

Read my first post in this thread, No one knows what the pricing will be and what the restrictions will be with the subsidized pricing. I too purchased my iPhone and do not know what the pricing will be like and if I am eligible to upgrade or not, sorry to break the news to you but your just a part of the "general public" as well.

6. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No, you do not qualify for an upgrade because you received the discount (subsidy) on your iPhone 3G purchase last summer.

So unless, Apple and AT&T make a new announcement you will most likely not qualify for a full discount (subsidy) on the new iPhone X this summer. However depending on how much you spend on your account, you may qualify for an upgrade some time between now and Aug. 2010. Is your basic line more than $99 per month before any discounts?

Dave

7. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I can't explain my case. On my account on AT&T's site, it says I will be eligible to upgrade on 7/13/09. I bought my 3G phone on 7/13/08...

8. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Reread your upgrade message, I am sure it says the you are eligible for an early upgrade at a reduced discount. This would mean that in today's pricing model you could get the $399 / $499 on an iPhone 3G.

Here are a couple of the current messages, notice the "reduced discount" is different from a "discounted price".

You are eligible for an early upgrade to an iPhone at a reduced discount. Our records indicate that you will be eligible for an upgrade to an iPhone at a discounted price on 03/05/2010

This is going to be even more confusing that last year before the iPhone 3G launch and they started listing the upgrade message with the added sentence about the "except iPhone 3G that requres a 2-year contract.

Dave

9. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

You're right. It has been changed just recently. It says I will be eligible for a discounted price on 7/13/09. I don't know if I'll upgrade for $399. I'm hoping an alternative plan will be announced at WWDC if a new iPhone is announced for 3G users. If not, I may have to sit out this iDay unless the new phone is really something to behold (video camera front facing, upgraded CPU that makes the phone extremely fast).

10. mikey28 macrumors 6502