iPhone 3G upgrade to iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dafootballer, Feb 4, 2011.

  1. dafootballer, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011

    dafootballer macrumors member

    Jun 8, 2009
    I am getting pretty sick of my slow 3G but with Apples product cycle do i dare wait the few months or should i just get one for my birthday on the 22nd? It does suck not being able to play half the games on the app store...:confused:
  2. grawk macrumors 6502


    Jan 26, 2004
    Southern York County, PA
    If you must update on the 22nd, I'd buy a used 3GS to upgrade to, because you don't want to lock into a contract this close to a new release.
  3. Certinfy macrumors 6502a


    Jan 29, 2011
    If you can wait a few months, then definitely wait!
  4. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

    Jimmy James

    Oct 26, 2008
    Personally, I would wait. You still have an iPhone in the meantime.

    The 3GS is a "minor upgrade". Sorry, couldn't resist.:)
  5. iFitz macrumors regular

    Jul 15, 2008
    Get the iPhone 4 now (not a 4G by the way) and sell it when the new one comes out, if you want it. iPhones always sell for a lot of money. You can at least sell it for enough to cover the different between full price and the discounted price.
  6. dafootballer thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 8, 2009
    the 3GS is a possibility but i guess if
    i can get a used one without any extra charges to my contract ill try to find a cheap one as the performance from a 3g to 3gs is a lot. right? Could i find a cheap 4G and still upgrade later?

    and my bad about 4G mistake haha i guess a "4G" might be rolled out this year due to rumors of atts new 4G network getting put out.
  7. 03sho macrumors 6502a

    Sep 19, 2007
    I'm still using my 3g but as soon as the iPhone 4 white comes out I'm getting that.

    3g is too bloody slow.
  8. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502a

    Mar 18, 2009
    3GS was a HUGE upgrade to the 3G in speed. But they are still rather expensive on the second-hand market, so upgrading to one for only 6 months may not be worth the cost to you. I guess it partly depends on the condition of your 3G and how much you could sell that for. There is still a market for the 3G.
  9. Reach9 macrumors 68020


    Aug 17, 2010
    In America
    Well, i'm in the same boat as you, as in, I also have an iPhone 3G. I purchased it on the first day too and reaped lots of benefits of the new App Store, way back then when the download count was about 100, not it's passed 10Billion.
    I'm also sick and tired of the speed, i can't seem to run any apps smoothly on it with iOS 4.2.1, however i know that in about 4 months the brand new iPhone 5 will be released.
    The new hardware update will be major as well. So if i were you then i would steer clear of any iPhone 4 for now, and save up for the big one to come.
    Or else you'll be bashing your head when everyone around you has the latest iPhone and you will be stuck with a soon-to-be slower one.
    Just be patient and you'll reap the rewards.
  10. youknome macrumors 6502


    Nov 22, 2010
    If you can wait a couple more months to see what's around the corner then do so. Because if Apple do surprise us then you'll be kicking yourself. My £0.02 :)
  11. ste1164 macrumors 6502a


    Jan 4, 2009
    I'd wait tbh until the next iphone. It's only a few more months then you will enjoy the speed of the new phone :).
  12. Certinfy macrumors 6502a


    Jan 29, 2011
    Maybe it might be worth investing in a cheap but good android phone for the next few months? :confused:

Share This Page