iPhone 3G US/AT&T ---> Italy/TIM

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dhammis, Jun 10, 2010.

1. dhammis macrumors newbie

Searching on this topic has yielded a variety of results, none of which seem to cover what I'm looking for.

I have an iPhone 3G that I bought on launch day here in the US through AT&T. My contract is up and I'll be getting the iPhone 4 in a couple of weeks.

My brother lives in Italy and he desperately wants an iPhone, but the cost of them over there is crazy. He would love to have my handmedown, but AT&T and Apple won't unlock it because of the exclusivity agreement.

Should I upgrade to iOS 4, jailbreak and unlock or will the carriers over in Italy be able to unlock it for him when he activates it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I actually like when people post question threads in which the answer that they seek is included in their question....

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

It is quite funny considering that the iPhone in Italy is sold factory unlocked ;)

4. dhammis thread starter macrumors newbie

@SAD*FACED*CLOWN - If you aren't going to provide a useful response then please don't reply at all.

@Pressure - I understand they sell them unlocked. This is a gift being sent from the US to Italy.