iphone 3g --> use as an ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by msduncan, Jul 14, 2010.

1. msduncan macrumors 6502

Forgive my ignorance on this, but my wife and I both upgraded to iPhone 4 phones. I have a great condition iPhone 3g that I'm going to sell.

My wife's iPhone 3G is missing the vibrate button on the side, so I thought about just letting the kids use it as an iPod touch to play games and such on. Can I effectively do this by syncing to iTunes for application updates and get applications on it without having to have it on a network at all? Or will it still even connect to my home network? In that case I could just keep using it to connect via wifi to the app store.

Thanks! I'd rather have the kids drop or accidentally destroy an old 3G without a vibrate button than to accidentally damage or destroy one of our new phones.

2. Lamplighter77 macrumors member

Yeah should work fine. I did the same with my wife's old 3G and her 7 year old nephew. He carries it everywhere with him telling people he has an iphone. Its only a matter of time before it is lost or broken/wet but it made him happy for at least a month so far.

And wifi will still work fine, you will be able to update or download apps on it as long as its on a wireless network with connection to the internet.