iPhone 3G using Remote on Ad Hoc network

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jr4284, Apr 17, 2010.

1. jr4284 macrumors newbie

OK, so I have been using a mac mini in my car to do all of my car's audio/video/nav for a while now, and it's been running fine. Yesterday I attempted to control iTunes using the Remote app on my 3G.

On the mac mini, created a new wireless network.
    On the iPhone, connected to said network. So far so good.
    Open up Remote, search for new library, finds it, gives me code to enter. Enter the code. Get the thumbs up message that I can control iTunes from my iPhone now!

... and then, all goes to hell. I try to access my music library and it won't work, as, despite being connected to the correct network, Remote is showing that I'm still on 3G and says that I must be connected to the same network as my computer.

Try the procedure a few times and get the same result.

I figure that having 3G/Edge on must be the problem, so I turn on airplane mode, re-enable Wifi, connect to my mac mini's network again, and now it runs fine! Not a problem, runs exactly like Remote is supposed to.

Turn off airplane mode, remain connected to wifi network, and I get the same error when I load up Remote.

Any ideas?

2. mreddys10 macrumors regular

When you say "despite being connected to the correct network, Remote is showing that I'm still on 3G and says that I must be connected to the same network as my computer", does your status bar show if you are connected to WiFi or 3G?

I use a similar set up as you, and the thing is that the WiFi signal from an ad-hoc created on your computer is pretty weak, and when the signal drops below a certain point, the phone automatically switches back to the next best signal (in this case, 3G). Thats why u dont see the problem when u r in airplane mode.

My laptop keeps dropping the ad-hoc connection to my phone (I can see this when the tray icon changes), but my phone still shows that I am connected to my laptop's wifi. It just has to do with the signal strength.

3. jr4284 thread starter macrumors newbie

Status shows that I'm connected to 3G, but preferences shows I'm connected to the wifi.

What determines "signal strength"? 'cause if it's the ability to get out to the web, obviously I get 0 from my ad hoc.

4. mreddys10 macrumors regular

The WiFi card in your mac does not have the same 'range' (as in, the distance the signal can travel) as a router. Its the WiFi card that is putting out the signal, and it can be pretty weak.

I deal with this same situation everyday. I dont have a WiFi router at home, so I use ICS on windows 7 and created an ad-hoc network to share my net connection. But it doesnt work beyond a couple of meters away from my laptop.