iphone 3g v 4.2.1 JB questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by stunter2b, Jun 22, 2011.

1. stunter2b macrumors member

stunter2b

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and smart phones, but somewhat computer savvy.

Now I got this used Iphone 3g and wife got the 3gs and her phone as things I don't have like record videos, and her wallpaper stays when she goes through the pages, anyway that is what I noticed in the little time she let me play with it..lol.

So with that being said I want to jail break my phone and get stuff she can't and make my phone better then hers:D

I did some reading and seen some JB that is what they called "untethered" and some that are "tethered" now does tethered mean every time I turn off my phone in order to turn it back on it has to be plugged in my laptop??

And I guess main question, what is the best JB method for my reg "3g 4.2.1" phone oh and I'm on a windows based pc.

Not sure if its any good but the green poison logo looks very cool.

Okay I have so many more questions, but I'll wait and see the responses I get from all the above gibberish...lol

Thanks

2. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

I used Redsn0w 0.9.6b4 to jailbreak my 3G and it worked fine. It's an untethered jailbreak for the 3G.

3. stunter2b thread starter macrumors member

stunter2b

I have downloaded 0.9.6b5 will this be okay also???

4. stunter2b thread starter macrumors member

stunter2b

Also once I do this JB, what won't I be able to do that I can now?

5. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

I really don't know how b5 differed from b4. There should be release notes somewhere.
    I can't think of anything I can't do now that I could before the jailbreak. All iTunes syncing is fine. It's really pretty painless and you get to add cool things that will make the 3G a lot nicer.

6. stunter2b thread starter macrumors member

stunter2b

I want to do it SOOOOOOO bad but I'm so scared I brick my phone, I'm on a new 2 year contract, I don't care about the phones warranty I just don't want to be paying an at&t bill with no phone.

7. stunter2b thread starter macrumors member

stunter2b

Another question I have so lets say during the JB something goes wrong, how do I restore my phone back to where I was before the JB?

Do I just plug it back into my laptop and restore from itunes?

I just backed it up with Itunes

8. Epic Orange macrumors member

Epic Orange

I suggest using an application called "recboot" to go into recovery mode and go to iTunes and restore your iPhone 3G. By the way, jailbreaking these days barely bricks any iPhones or iPod Touches.

This video show help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeYOxHaI-Kg

9. stunter2b thread starter macrumors member

stunter2b

10. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

I didn't even have to use Recboot this last time I did a jailbreak. I've jailbroken this phone now 3 times and it's worked great every time. Just follow the instructions that seem to be everywhere and you'll be fine.

Yes if you don't like the jailbreak you can just do a restore.

11. Epic Orange macrumors member

Epic Orange

It's true. Recboot is not usually required, but if your stuck somewhere during the jailbreaking process, or something funny happened, then Recboot becomes your best friend. :)

12. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

Yep, always good to know the tools that can get you out of a jam.

13. stunter2b, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

stunter2b thread starter macrumors member

stunter2b

Well ofcourse leave it to me to have problems.

I followed these steps.

http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12949&laid=

and on step Step Twelve "RedSn0w will then begin uploading the new RAM Disk and Kernel." it craps out and stops responding and closes the program.

I'm running the program as admin. I also tried to go to properties and run it as winXP mode still same error 3X in a row...wtf do I do now?????

ps i'm running vista

14. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

Did you choose to unlock and update the baseband?

Don't think it should matter, but I did the jailbreak on mine via a Mac.

15. stunter2b thread starter macrumors member

stunter2b

I never even seen that option..

"""If you read the warning above and you would like to update your baseband to the 06.15 iPad version for unlock then check Install iPad Baseband. Click Yes when prompted to confirm your decision.""" That screen shot where I say "NO" to that never came up.

it went from picking boot logo right to step 9-10 where you "RedSn0w will now guide you through the steps to get into DFU mode. You can find more help with DFU mode here" I get through that and then after I'm done releasing the home button I see the Hard drive logo on my cell and that is where it craps out. I MIGHT try it again tomorrow since I was able to restore my iphone back to stock settings and then go back to my last backup so my cell is back to the way it was with all my apps and stuff...

When I try it again I will this time print the instructions, re-download everything from scratch and only have the app running, maybe it was my computer that was the issue, also I think during the first attempt my internet craped out for a brief min.

But if anyone has any better ideals I sure would like to JB my I phone on the next attempt...

16. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

The baseband question is there on the screen where you choose the option of the boot logo. Did you choose to install anything else? I only chose Cydia and battery percentage.

17. stunter2b thread starter macrumors member

stunter2b

I picked them two above options and the 2 boot logos and on the first attempt I also picked the home screen wallpaper, and my second attempt I left out the wallpaper...