iPhone 3G; version 2.2 (I think)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by golfergirl13, Jan 28, 2011.

1. golfergirl13 macrumors member

I had an iphone 3G, version 2.2 and it was jailbroken and unlocked. However, one day back in August 2010 when I connected the iphone to itunes, got a message that it detected a new upgrade...do you want to upgrade. Well, silly me, accidentally clicked yes and now my iphone doesn't work. I took it to a repair shop and they said the software to have this fixed is still not available.

After not having my iphone for almost 6 months, I am starting to miss it. Is there any way to get this iphone fix via jailbroken?

When I power the iphone, all I have is the itunes logo and the NO SIM card inserted message.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If you performed an update, why doesn't it work?

I feel like you left out some details. Its sounds like your iPhone is stuck in Recovery Mode, Are you on Windows or Mac?

3. golfergirl13, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

golfergirl13 thread starter macrumors member

Please forgive my silly question as I have not touched my iphone in 6 months, however, which update do I use??

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Wait, you upgraded your phone, didn't touch it for 6 months, and now it's not working? Think anything else could have happened in the interim?

5. golfergirl13 thread starter macrumors member

No, I did not say that. Six months ago when I connected my iphone to itunes, it ASK if I wanted to upgrade and I meant to say no (due to the fact my iphone is jailbroken and unlocked), however, I accidentally said yes. This is all in my 1st post. Anyways, I remembered reading (6 months ago or longer) that when itunes ask if you want to upgrade, you should always say no because its jailbroken.

So, I took it to a repair shop and they said the software is not available. I haven't used my iphone in 6 months and now I am starting to miss it. Hope this all makes sense.

6. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

So the phone works, but it's not jailbroken and unlocked. Therefore, you can't use it because you were using T-Mobile. Is this correct?

7. apple3g040193 macrumors 6502

apple3g040193

his phone is stuck in recovery mode because the update process failed because he was jailbroken Put the phone in dfu mode connect to itunes then follow th on screen intsrtuctions there phone is fixed

8. golfergirl13 thread starter macrumors member

I did put the phone in DFU mode and tried to restore thru itunes, however, after it was completed, I got the message "The SIM card inserted in this iphone does not appear to be supported". I did this 4 times with the same result.

By the way, I am a female.

9. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

I'm guessing your using T-mobile, right?

If that's the case, it it showing that message because the phone is in factory state and only supports at&t sim cards.

Now, what version did you upgraded to?

Since its a 3G you can jailbreak again, but you'll need to know what version are you running so you can unlock it again.

10. golfergirl13 thread starter macrumors member

I am on AT&T. Unfortunately, I don't know what version I am on. Again, when I turn on the phone, all it shows is the itunes logo and the usb. Therefore, how can I check to see what version I am on?

Attached Files:

11. golfergirl13, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

Can anyone help with this? Since my phone isn't working except for emergency calls, can anyone help with figuring out how I can find out what firmware I am on?

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Based on the information you have given, you are not using the newest software. The image you attached above has the old iTunes logo when in "Connect to iTunes" mode, the newest OS (4.2.1) uses the new iTunes logo.

[​IMG]

So, to ensure that you are on the latest software (and yes, you will loose you jailbrake), Your only option now is to click on the Restore icon and let iTunes download the latest software, then let it automatically update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. saving107, Jan 30, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If your Sim card continues to not be supportive, then you have a SIM card issue and not a phone issue.

You said above that your iPhone is jailbroken and unlocked, but that you are also on AT&T but that you haven't used your iPhone in 6 months. So just to clarify, are you currently an AT&T customer and is your SIM card an active SIM card that is functional on other phones?

The iPhone can not be activated with a dead SIM card or an inactive account.

14. saberahul macrumors 68040

What the guy above me said. I fail to understand what the problem is... if I were you I'd put it in DFU mode connect it to iTunes and update the firmware to the newest version possible. If you're not able to do it - it may help going to ATT as they may be able to help.

15. golfergirl13, Jan 30, 2011

I have restored in itunes at least 5 times and came up with the same outcome - the dreaded The SIM card inserted in this iphone does not appear to be supported. When I went to do a restore, it was showing:

- extracting software
    - preparing iphone for restore
    - itunes is restoring this software on this iphone
    - restoring iphone firmware

and then it would keep showing that sim card does not appear to be supported message.

My AT&T sim card is supportive. Right now I can put my sim card using a blackberry and blackjack. Therefore, yes, I am a current AT&T customer.

I have put the iphone in DFU mode so many times that it isn't funny.

By the way, I do have the latest itunes which is 10.1

16. Lycanthroat macrumors regular

Then contact AT&T. That sounds more like a SIM problem than a hardware issue.

17. golfergirl13 thread starter macrumors member

I am not sure I understand why you think its a SIM problem. The SIM works good for both blackberry and blackjack.

18. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If you don't want to go down to an AT&T store to swap out your SIM card for another new SIM card (this process is Free and takes no more than a couple of minutes), then maybe you might want to ask a friend or family member to barrow their SIM card from their phone for just a few minutes. Once you have a different, active SIM card, put that SIM card in your phone and check to see if the same warning pops up.

If it does, then you might have a hardware issue, but if it doesn't and the phone activates, then you have a SIM card issue.

The iPhone needs to have an active SIM card before it will activate, but that SIM card doesn't have to be yours, just an active SIM card.

In an effort to troubleshoot the issue, their could be a number of reasons why you're receiving that message. You already said that you have the latest iTunes and have restored the phone several times and you continue to get stuck in the same final step, activation, and every time you get the same "SIM Card Not Supported" message. This is why others (myself included) believe that it may be your SIM card, and their is no way to continue to troubleshoot the issue until you get a new SIM card.

19. golfergirl13 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the explanation. The last time I went to an AT&T store to get a new sim card, they asked me 6 or 7 questions why I needed a new one.

I will see if I can use a friend's sim card.

20. golfergirl13 thread starter macrumors member

I found out the reason why my iphone wasn't working. I wished I had known to install the latest version of redsn0w because I was using 0.7. So everything is fine.....except 1 thing. After installing the firmware and my iphone reboot, I got cydia therefore, I followed all the instructions to get my iphone unlocked. However, after the phone rebooted, it now says its searching. Its been saying that for the past 30 minutes.

Also, my iphone is slow as molasses.

21. DarkCloud2015 macrumors member

DarkCloud2015

Side effect of having a 3G on iOS 4.0+. Disabling multitasking and wallpapers when jailbreaking with redsn0w will help.

22. golfergirl13 thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm....I didn't see "disabling multitasking and wallpaper" in redsn0w.

Can anyone figure out after unlocking it with ultrasn0w why it says "searching". I have turned off/on airplane mode and rebooted and still same issue.

23. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If you are a current AT&T customer with an AT&T SIM card, why do you unlock your phone?

just a bit curious.

To Disable Multitasking, Wallpaper in the iPhone, just don't enable it (don't check the box) during the Jailbraking process.
    [​IMG]

24. golfergirl13 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the screen shot. When I used redsn0w, there were 2 checkmarks that were already defaulted to "install Cydia" and "enable battery percentage", therefore, I did NOT check anything.

After I used redsn0w, before I installed ultrasn0w thru cydia, it was saying "searching". So, that's why I am trying to unlock my phone.

25. golfergirl13 thread starter macrumors member

Also, there is another thing I have noticed. When I don't have the SIM card, its faster when I click on any icons. However, as soon as I put the SIM card in, its very sluggish. If I tap on any icon, it takes up to 20 seconds or longer to open.