iPhone 3G - Vodafone Ireland settings

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pjij, Aug 21, 2008.

1. pjij macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am using an iPhone 3G (purchased unlocked in Italy) on the vodafone network here in Ireland.

Its all working well but I cannot get internet access via 3G. I have set the correct APN (live.vodafone.com - according to the vodafone.ie website) but safari refuses to work.

Anyone got this setup working?

Thanks.

2. pjij thread starter macrumors newbie

After looking into this some more I am able to check my email which means I am connected to the 3G network but I am unable to get anywhere using Safari. Or another app that needs net access. (YouTube, AIM, Facebook etc)

Has anyone got any ideas?

3. frustrated1 macrumors newbie

You need to use isp.vodafone.ie for now whilst on Vodafone Ireland..

I dont believe the live.vodafone address will work for some time yet..
    Be warned I dont believe its the cheapest thing to use when using the isp address...

4. deadmeat25 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem, I could access my gmail and aol email accounts but nothing else would work using live.vodafone.com

I was just onto Data support in Vodafone and they say that the live.vodafone.com will not work with the iphone.

the only one that will and I have verified it is
    isp.vodafone.ie
    username: vodafone
    Password: vodafone

This is quite expensive to use (2c a KB). He did tell me that you can get a data package for using your phone as a modem to make this cheaper. Haven't checked that out yet.

5. frustrated1 macrumors newbie

I know someone "on the inside" in vodafone ireland :p

They are working on adpating the live.vodafone.com apn to work with the iphone so you can enjoy a better / cheaper service than you get on the isp apn but its at least a few weeks away.....

6. PaddyB macrumors member

well there is some good news from above poster if true :)

if you are vodafone bill pay you can get the 1GB isp promo. its 9.99 per month
    for 1gb of data

you will be conecting via the isp.vodafone.ie apn

7. pjij thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies..

I'll wait and see what happens with the live.vodafone.com APN. Can you keep us updated Frustrated1 if this happens?

PaddyB - I had a look on the vodafone website but can see no mention of the 9.99 ISP offer. Where should I be looking?

8. PaddyB macrumors member

thats correct you wont find any info on it, its vodafones dirty little secret! if you are a member of boards dot ie there is a thread on their mobile section
    about this.
    Anyways as i previously said if your bill pay just ring 1907 and ask for the 1Gb isp promo, i currenty have this pending to go onto my package plan this month ;)

9. pjij thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks PaddyB. I'll give 'em a call and see what they say.

10. Lindian macrumors newbie

help please?

Hi, have an unlocked US i-phone, which works fine with the WiFi in my house. Read the threads re vodafone ie, but phone doesn't accept the isp.vodafone ie as 'other networks' - anywhere else I can go (went to settings - wifi)
    I'm a phone idiot so any help much appreciated!

11. PaddyB macrumors member

goto; settings > general > network > cellular data network >
    APN enter isp.vodafone.ie
    Username enter vodafone
    Password enter vodafone

12. frustrated1 macrumors newbie

Okay - latest rumour inside is that the live.vodafone.com apn wont be ready for quite a while. However - for prepaid - good news. Apparently the 2c per kb rate will be coming down dramatically soon...

Will post more when I hear what the actual rate is and when its out..

13. guyaman macrumors newbie

using isp.vodafone.ie on iphone 3g

Hi all. I have an unlocked iphone from the US. It's working fine and accessing internet, YouTube etc from Safari is fine using WiFi in the house. My problem is that I cant access the internet anywhere else. Safari says it isn't connected to the internet. I signed up for the 1gb data bundle with Vodafone. I also put in the isp.vodafone.ie apn. it's still not working. please help!

14. frustrated1 macrumors newbie

What username and password did you put in? (I am using dublin as username and dublin as password)

15. guyaman macrumors newbie

vodafone ISP

I put in vodafone as both username and password but no luck. Following your post I put in a different username and password but still no joy. Should wifi be enabled also?

16. frustrated1 macrumors newbie

Wifi should be disabled (just to ensure your phone is not trying a wifi service)
    What error do you get on screen when trying to access safari or mail?

You can also try office.vodafone.ie just to see if it works (not sure if that qualifies for your 1gb data bundle so if it works you would need to check with vodafone)

17. guyaman macrumors newbie

Using Vodafone internet

I tried office.vodafone.ie but no luck. It's always the same message-"Cannot Open Page. Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the internet."
    when I try to access email it says "Cannot Get Mail. The connection to the server 'imap.gmail.com' failed."
    I can't understand it at all. Could it be something to do with the phone been jailbroken in the US before i got it? my Vodafone chip works fine and phone services work as normal.

18. frustrated1 macrumors newbie

Okay - try not to get "frustrated".... its probably something simple.
    Are you able to try the sim in another phone (preferably not iphone) to see if you can access internet from another phone with the sim.

If you are stuck and you want me to see if my friend can check your network profile - email me your mobile number or your sim number and I will see if they can check it out... frustrated1.iphone@gmail.com

Other than that - you are best to ring Vodafone and tell them that you are trying to use the iphone with isp / offce apn but not working. They will get your profile checked to see whats up (assuming its a network thing which it sounds like)

19. frustrated1 macrumors newbie

Okay - apparently the new rate for prepaid users has been out since wednesday.. its now 19c per MB.

Not bad ....
    :apple:

20. sinothuruthen macrumors newbie

for the prepay customers type apn live.vodafone.com,username dublin and password dublin..it works.mine is working perfectly

21. frustrated1 macrumors newbie

And the good news -- Vodafone Ireland will be selling the iPhone early next year, so the settings, services, quality etc should get better

https://withcompliments.vodafone.ie/iphone