Iphone 3g vs 2g with cell data off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jfrank146, Jul 21, 2011.

1. jfrank146, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

jfrank146 macrumors newbie

I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere. What is the difference between having 3G enabled or disabled while the Cellular data is turned off?

I am not asking what the difference is between cellular data and 3G so dont waste your time, I understand what they are. My question is what is the difference between having 3G enabled/disabled while cellular data is off.

It seems to switch networks if you toggle 3G off, but with the Cell data off does this make a difference in the battery life or talk time?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

When 3G is on, you get MMS messages faster and clearer voice quality. With it off, you get better battery life and possibly better service.

3. dickdaney macrumors regular

Are you saying that the 3G voice quality is better than the edge voice quality? Don't they transmit on the exact same frequency?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, while they both transmit over the same frequencies, 3G encodes the voice in a high bitrate allowing for better quality. I'm not sure, but I think 3G preforms some kind of VOIP protocol.

5. jfrank146 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the posts,

What is the difference in battery usage 3G-2G with the data OFF?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It varies from iPhone to iPhone and the location. You'll have to run your own tests to find out how much battery you could save.