Iphone 3g vs iphone 3gs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hellayeah, Aug 8, 2010.

1. hellayeah macrumors newbie

so i'm thinking about buying an iphone of ebay but i just can't decide between the 3gs and 3g. I know the 3gs has up to 32gb of memory but can you guys tell me what other great advantages the 3gs has? I don't really see that many...

can i use the same apps in a 3g phone and 3gs phone?

thanks !

2. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Video recording/better camera, better battery life. All you really need to know.

iPhone 3G's battery is sub-par and it has NO video recording.

3. Nuttydev macrumors 6502

3Gs has a video camera and (officially) supports multitasking, it's also faster.

4. playaproved macrumors 6502

3GS... iOS4 with all of the features, and if the current upgrade scheme holds true, 3G will not be receiving an update next summer.

5. Stein357 macrumors 6502

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Improved battery life
    Faster processor/more memory
    Better camera, with autofocus and tap to focus
    Video
    Compass
    Oleophobic coating
    Voice Control
    HSDPA implementation (allows faster download speeds)

You might have trouble running iOS4 on a 3G, so it's possible you may not be able to use the same apps.

7. apprunner macrumors regular

When the 3GS first came out, it was an incremental upgrade because the 3G worked well with iOS 3. If the 3GS had come out with iOS 4, it would have been a HUGE upgrade due to the ability to multitask and the fact that 4.0 renders the 3G almost useless.

8. hellayeah thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys !
    it is possible to use iOS 4 or iOS 4.0.1 on a 3Gs though, right?

9. Nuttydev macrumors 6502

Yes, it works perfectly with all the features I believe.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This makes no sense because the 3GS added 8 new features over the 3G compared to 3 new features of the 3G (A-GPS, 3G and a new design) over the original iPhone.

11. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Well you get cool new things. Such as.......a compass!!!!!!

I kid. It's a much better phone then the 3G. The speed alone would be worth it. Plus you get video recording.

12. teenwith3i macrumors newbie

You can use the same apps, but the 3GS can do everything the iPhone 4 can do except Facetime. get the 3GS, I hear that the iOS 4 update is slowing down iPhone 3G to the point where there almost unusable.

13. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

This is what I've heard from a few people with the 3G who upgraded to iOS 4.

I have a 3GS with iOS 4 and it works perfectly. It's the 8GB 3GS so it came w/ iOS 4 on it.

14. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

15. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Yeah get the 3GS. It is almost a lower res version of the iPhone 4. Can do pretty much everything the iPhone 4 can, it is almost as fast, and overall a very good phone.

16. apprunner macrumors regular

What couldn't the 3G do that the 3GS could do? 3rd party sw enabled video recording so the 3G to 3GS wasn't that big. I also agree that the 2g to 3G wasn't that big either. If the 3GS came with iOS 4, it would have been a HUGE jump simply due to the 3G sucking massive wind due to the hardware not keeping up. The largest jump so far has been the 4. It's all opinion of course.

17. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

There are other things that the 3GS cannot do that the iP4 can do besides FaceTime. The iP4 has a gyroscope that the 3GS does not have therefore anything that requires the use of a gyro will not work as well on a 3GS as on an iP4. One thing that come to mind is games such as Gun Range Eliminator which uses the gyro. This is not true of all games because Zen Bound 2 makes use of the gyro and it can be played on the 3Gs.

As more apps come out making use of the gyro the 3Gs will fall farther behind, but in most cases will work, but not as well as the iP4.

All this being said I would go with the 3Gs in this situation.

18. JadedBen macrumors regular

To be fair, my 3G had a better battery than the 3 3GS's i had..

But aside from that, get the 3GS, it really is a much better phone overall if you get a good one :)

19. FunkyGuitarGirl macrumors member

As a 3G owner I can attest to the fact that iOS4 does slow things down to the point of extreme frustration and although there are some things you can do to improve functionality. I would not recommend buying a 3G at this point in the product's life cycle. The 3GS has more features and can take advantage of the latest OS so its really the better investment.

If you are limited by cash, wait a bit and save for the 3GS.