iPhone 3g vs Original: No data

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cubsfan334, Aug 2, 2008.

1. cubsfan334 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I hope I put this in the right spot

Anyway, I'd really like to get an iPhone, but the problem is that I don't want data. I'd much prefer to pay a regular rate plan without the extra $30 per month, especially when most of the places I'd be using it (my house, school, your local Starbucks/Mickey D's etc) all have wifi.

The problem is, my AT&T store has told me that it is impossible to get the new 3G without data. I know with the original iPhone you could buy an unlocked one off of eBay/wherever and simply swap sim cards and it would work. Now will this work with the 3G? Because I would still be using it with AT&T, would it need to be unlocked? Same goes with the original iPhone.

Also, if I was not able to get a 3G without data, should I opt for the original iphone or just get a regular phone and an iTouch? (I need a new iPod.) What are the main physical differences between the two phones, as I believe the big differences are in the software and I can still run the app store etc on the old one.

Thank you

2. cubsfan334 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone out there?

1. Can i take an original iPhone, swap the sim cards and avoid paying data?

2. What are the physical differences (not software) between the original and 3G?

3. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

1. Depends on where you live. I believe with T-Mobile in the U.S. you have to do a custom setup if you want some internets in your pocket. So it should just not work by default unless pwnage sets it up automatically. I've read some about it but have never done it. 2.0 is jailbroken and unlocked currently on 1st gen iPhones, it is only jailbroken and NOT unlocked on the iPhone 3g. At least it was a few days ago when I last checked.

3.) Well, the iPhone 3g has a 3g data chip which is faster...but if you're not using data then you don't need it. Otherwise you get GPS, which is good for location based services and eventually a TOM-TOM app is supposed to come out which could be cool and useful to you since it wouldn't require data...I believe the maps would be preinstalled. Otherwise GPS won't do much for you since you would need wireless internet service to download maps when you're out on the road. It's also plastic and comes in black and white variations...tapered edges, barely thicker in the middle. I think its much more beautiful than the original. I love mine, but its a battery hog and a half. 2.0 is buggy as crap too. Hopefully most of the bugs are fixed in the 2.1 or 2.0.1 update in the next month.

If I were you, I'd get an original iPhone since the battery will last longer and you don't need many of the features the 3g has. Also if you get a 3g you should have to sign up for a contract unless you pay out the butt for the contractless version. I actually have a 1st gen that I'll be putting up on eBay soon...hoping to get about $400 since a lot of the 1st gens are getting that or higher. Beats the crap out of the 3Gs going for twice that.

4. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I'd agree about getting the original model.

- Personally I much prefer the metal back, and it's more scratch-proof
    - The build quality seems to have been a lot better, judging by the number of forum comments about 3g-model light-leaks, cracks in the plastic back, etc
    - It's easily unlockable to any GSM network
    - Battery life is better
    - You won't be paying for features you don't need

5. cubsfan334 thread starter macrumors newbie

Say I bought an original iPhone off of ebay. Would I just go into AT&T and purchase a contract with one of the free phones they offer, then swap the sims? Would it work just like that?