iPhone 3g w/ iOS4 GM - Camera slow to startup?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by icemantx, Jun 19, 2010.

1. icemantx macrumors regular

Hoping someone can help me out.

I have an iPhone 3G 16GB and after updating to iOS4 GM my camera takes anywhere from 6-15 seconds to startup. This is definitely longer than on iOS 3. I have about 11,000 photos stored on the phone (zero in the camera roll)...

I did previously have my iPhone jailbroken, but I restored it to the iOS 4 GM again and setup as a new phone - not from a backup. In comparison, my wife's 8GB 3G on iOS4 GM with about 5000 photos takes 4 seconds to startup the camera app consistently - never jailbroken.

Any ideas? Does having more photos on your camera in events slow down the camera app exponentially? Anyone else have this problem with iOS4 on an iPhone 3G?

2. Einkoro macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem with iOS4 GM on a 3GS 32Gb. Virtually no photos and camera just crawls starting up whereas other apps seem to open faster than the previous version.

3. JAQ macrumors 6502

For what it's worth, I have a brand new iPhone 4 (to replace my iPhone 1) and the launch time on the Camera app is bothering me too. On the "1" (running OS 3) it takes a couple seconds after tapping the icon before the iris opens to show what's in front of the camera. On the "4" it takes 10 seconds before the iris opens! My "real camera" powers up and deploys its zoom lens faster than this!

Both phones have the same photos stored on them. I suppose it could be because the 4 has a more powerful camera (autofocus, video-capable), but it's still annoying to have to wait for it like this.

4. draz macrumors 6502a

Everything takes longer to start up with iOS 4.0 on a 3G. Browsing sites is horribly slow, unlocking is slow, using maps while driving is just stupidly slow, and pretty much everything else you never had any problems with is slow to respond.

...Just have to deal with it sadly.

5. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I have both 3G S and 4 with iOS 4.0. The camera app does seem to take a bit longer to load on the 3G S now than it did with 3.1.3, but it's nothing like 10-15 seconds. I have about 400-500 pictures on it.

OTOH, did you notice that the shutter speed is now much faster? I'm not photographer, but I believe a faster shutter speed makes the resulting picture sharper (while making it more susceptible to the lack of light).

6. MurphyM macrumors 6502

iPhone 3GS, never jailbroken, upgraded to iOS4 and it takes from 8-15 seconds to open the camera.

The new volume buttons on the 4 sure would make a nice shutter release.