iPhone 3G wanna sync Outlook for contacts / Calendar & keep Gmail push

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by shortnugly, Jan 24, 2009.

1. shortnugly macrumors newbie

Just got an iPhone 3G......... :D

I have a Gmail account, IMAP enabled. Emails going to Outlook on my PC and my phone. Getting my emails regularly now.

I want to sync with my PC's, Outlook - Contacts and Calendar and maybe ToDo List.

I don't want to use itunes to manage this.

Can I use an itunes alternative to manage my media and a different 3rd party app to sync to my Outlook?

2. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

No. You cannot. (The only exception would be if your contacts and calendar are synced via Exchange ActiveSync.)

Also, there is no "push" e-mail for GMail accounts.

3. shortnugly thread starter macrumors newbie

I get my emails now via the IMAP function in Gmail. no sync required.

If the functions within iPhone such as calendar/contacts are different than photos/media . . . . why not?

4. shortnugly thread starter macrumors newbie

5. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Because contacts and calendar information are different than photos and videos.

I mean... what explanation are you looking for here? They're different types of data, stored in a different way, and are handled by different programs on the host side.

There are three choices for push e-mail: an Exchange account on a server that supports ActiveSync, a MobileMe account, or a Yahoo e-mail account. There are only two choices for OTA synchronization of calendars and contacts: MobileMe and an ActiveSync-enabled Exchange account. Other than that the only way to synchronize your calendar and contacts with your phone is to use iTunes and the corresponding desktop software (iCal/Address Book on Mac OS X, Outlook on Windows.)

6. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

Actually, there are alternatives popping up: https://www.nuevasync.com/

7. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

8. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Well up until yesterday, the only two non-beta technologies were Microsoft's ActiveSync and Apple's MobileMe.

'course since it's *Google* Sync, this new entrant into the OTA sync arena may well be beta for years....