iPhone 3G: What's the point?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Sep 4, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

What is the iPhone 3G really much better than the 2G?

From what I can tell:

1. A lot of people are having problems with 3G reception
    2. 3G isn't available yet in a lot of locations
    3. A lot of people seem to be turning off 3G just to preserve battery life
    4. The plastic back gets cracked?
    5. iPhone 3G now has 2 sides that need to be wiped constantly. Fingerprints on back
    6. GPS uses a TON of battery (I'm told) and the iPhone 2G's fake GPS works great on most occasions... how often do you need to know the exact pinpoint of where you are? Usually if I get the street... I'm fine... just to make sure I'm on the path.
    7. 3G and GPS... Those are the only 2 new features of the iPhone 3G and I don't really consider the flush headphone jack to be a feature.... that's more of a fix.

As a side question:

As more and more people switch over to 3G... does that mean EDGE will go a little faster since less people will be accessing it?

Edit: I'm not trying to purposely bash the 3G iPhone. I was thinking about getting one, but I'm glad I got an original iPhone instead. I like them a lot better and I just couldn't justify the price difference of 3G and GPS. Also, I don't get 3G in NH and I know the 3G coverage isn't as much as EDGE... I've looked at the coverage map.

2. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I doubt edge will go any quicker, the problem being the iPhone 3G will use EDGE still and has been shown thanks to the chip Apple used that it switches to EDGE sometimes even when a good 3G signal is out.

We can only wait for 2.1 to come out and see how we get on from there in hope of better 3G signal.

I myself use WIFI to help my 3G along when at home, and I seem to have good 3G Signal in Manchester when at work or study.

3. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

1. Fine here (UK)
    2. Plenty here (UK)
    3. Haven't needed to
    4. Not on my phone
    5. It does get very fingerprinty but I have a case on mine so not an issue. Very irritating for naked phones though
    6. I don't use GPS much but tracking in the car (with car charger plugged in) is very useful
    7. The killer feature for me is I paid £45 for my 16GB. The first iPhone was approx £300. Better phone, much less cash. No brainer.

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Also, EDGE in the UK has much more limited coverage. I always have 3G turned on - and always have coverage - but generally if I've turned it off I've had to resort to GRPS about half the time.

I'm pleased with mine anyway - I prefer the black look to the square silver of old but I never had the first one either because of the sheer cost. The iPhone 3G is MUCH more affordable in the UK and much more in line with other phone prices also.

People in the UK are not used to paying an upfront cost for their phone if they are on a contract - that's the major reason why the first iPhone didn't take off much. Now you can get it for free.

I love it, but I must admit it would be a little disappointing as an upgrade from iPhone 1 becasue nearly all the features are the same as the previous phone. Still, I suspect they wanted to keep the hardware as similar as possible so that the new 3rd party apps would work across all (i.e. games console aproach rather than PC aproach). (That could cause problems with iPhone 3 though..)

That said, a better camera would have been nice.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

And a lot aren't.

It also *is* available in a lot of locations.

And some people turn off wi-fi to preserve battery life. These are all people who don't want to enjoy life. There's nothing we can do to help them.

And laptop batteries overheat and catch fire too! Guess I'd better avoid any product that has isolated problems, right?

I put my phone in my pocket. When I take it out, it's fine.

See #3

Uhm, thanks for the re-cap of your first 6 points! This is correct.

6. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Why is there such a big demand for OLD 1st Gen iPhones. A lot of people don't need 3G or GPS. GPS would be nice if I wanted to track myself walking, but I don't need to.

The biggest decision for me was the design of the 3G vs. Original iPhone... I much prefer the "Pro" feel of the old iPhone because it looks like an Apple Cinema display or a Mac Pro with the aluminum casing. The iPhone 3G looks more like a MacBook... eh... it's just not for me. Maybe if it was matte-black it might work better for me but, glossy black is a fingerprint magnet and plastic doesn't seem as solid to me as aluminum. Plus, the people WITHOUT cracks... how do you know it will stay that way... it's bound to get pressure cracks sooner or later if some of them are coming brand new with cracks. I can't wait to see what the 3G iPhone looks like a year from now. The 2G iPhones look almost brand new when they've been used for a year. I very lucky with my 2G iPhone though... I got it as a USED iPhone that was just recently replaced by warranty... so I pretty much got a brand new refurbished iPhone.... it also came with a full Invisible Shield on it (which I took off)... so, my used iPhone was in new condition.... I love it.

7. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

The point is that if you are located in a 3g rich environment and are capable of using 3g to it's potential, then someone would want a 3g device.

It's like compairing a 33.6 to 56k modem back when. All those people kept wondering what the big deal was with a 56k release at first.

If you're not in an area with 3g or you don't care how your gps works...then don't get the 3g iphone. That's the deal.

8. Toadkillerdog macrumors member

I have an old iphone and think the new version looks good. As soon as there is a 32gb model, I am going to have a hard time not upgrading. Still sticking with my old 16 gb version 1 though because there is no 3G in Green Bay, Wi and so no overriding reason to upgrade.

BTW, my friend here at work gets 1-2 bars in our heavily insulated building with his new 3G model when I get no signal at all. Can any one else comment on whether there is better Edge signal reception on the 3G model compare to version one or is this just a fluke?

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The silly price for gen1 iPhones is artificially inflated by foreign buyers who want an iPhone but can't get one, and much more so by people who want to buy an iPhone, but don't want an AT&T contract.

It generally isn't because they prefer a used gen1 iPhone to a new 3G.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The in-store sign-up for the 3G phone makes it very hard to get one without a contract.

Thus, anyone who wants to unlock it for other networks needs to get a used original phone. THIS is what's driving demand for the old phone.

If you could buy the 3G phone the same as the old one, you'd see much less demand for the old phones. After all, you can turn 3G off if you're in a bad area for that. Thus, the only people who would want the old phone in that situation are those who prefer the old look.

Sure, they're out there, but they wouldn't be driving demand as high as it currently is.

11. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I prefer the old look. It looks classy to me. The iPhone 3G looks like a toy to me.

12. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

i kind of feel the same way. when the 3G first came out i really didn't think i was going to upgrade, for a lot of the same reasons you stated. i do really like the form factor of the first phone, and i definitely haven't noticed any improvement in reception with the plastic back versus the aluminum. the al does seem to be a better choice of materials as far as durability goes.

but, the design of the white iPhone really grew on me. i love it's "retro iPod" look. i found myself going by the apple store more and more to try one out. and one day, i just had to have it. and i really don't regret it. its sleek, light, fits great in my hand, i love the white, i dunno. it's really grown on me.

and, though hardware wise it wasn't a huge upgrade, the GPS has proven to be quite accurate and useful and i really enjoy the 3G speeds.

what part of NH are you from?

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

Do you travel a lot? There's a ton of App Store apps that come in handy if you're navigating around an area you're unfamiliar with. "fake GPS" on the iPhone 2G doesn't come close to cutting it when you're driving around looking for an address you've never been to, at least in my area.

In my area, each AT&T tower has one data connection that it shares with both EDGE and 3G users. Users moving from EDGE to 3G cause more of a strain on that data connection, so I wouldn't expect EDGE to move more quickly. (Although as AT&T ups the data connection speed to its towers, both EDGE and 3G will feel faster during busy times).

As for the old design, ... the new design gets more bars of EDGE around my house (2-3) than the old design did (1), so for me, I'll take the more functional one (that'd be the new design).

14. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

About 30 minutes North of Portsmouth

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

Using Google Maps to view that area, I can see why GPS wouldn't be a big deal for you.

16. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah... roads are long and winding here... not too many crazy traffic patterns.

17. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

ahh nice. I miss NE so much. Originally a M*******, now I'm trapped in Michigan.

GPS could definitely come in handy when trolling around the NH woods. As long as your battery is still working... ;)

18. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Amen. I love my 16GB V1 running 1.1.4. I've mulled the 3G plenty of times but each time i arrive at the same conclusion: Its not really worth it

19. hexonxonx macrumors 601

1. Not everyone is having problems with 3G, it is nearly perfect in my area.
    2. N/A in my area, see my #1
    3. I turn on 3G when I need it. I like my battery to last two days. Why use 3G when you are not surfing the net or downloading apps? It is there when I need it.
    4. No scratches on either of my white 3G phones.
    5. In a case, only the front needs to be wiped.
    6. The exact location is always great to know, especially in cities you are not familiar with. In Los Angeles, I can look and see from Google maps when I am only a few blocks away from the beach or how far Hollywood Blvd. is away from my hotel. Always a very useful feature.
    7. Who cares.

20. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Really? Yet another "Im-so-much-more-enlightened-than-you-guys-because-I-didn't-get-an-iphone 3G-and you-did-and-here's-why" post?

Ok. I get it. You have a first-gen iPhone and you like it better. OK. Thanks. Join the club.

Fact is, I love my iPhone 3G. I don't think it looks like a toy, but actually rather classy. 3G, even at its slowest is still way faster than the best EDGE speeds I've ever achieved.

Thanks for outlining all that it doesn't have. Unfortunately, it's been posted on every major blog and news outlet, and been discussed ad nauseum too many times.

21. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Well I have an original iPhone, and my boyfriend always thought it was "too slow." I never minded EDGE speeds, but he said that if he ever got an iPhone, he'd want it to be faster.

So when the iPhone 3G came out, I got it for him -- thinking it would be just right.

Guess what? Most of the time, my original iPhone is faster than his 3G. We live in NYC, which is now known to be kind of crappy for 3G reception (which still baffles me -- it's New York 'Effin' City!!). A lot of times when he tries to fire up a webpage, it just hangs forever. He now wishes he had an original phone -- it's faster, and a LOT cheaper. And it looks better.

So yeah...I can understand the OP's point: what's the big deal about 3G? My boyfriend's phone is more expensive than mine, yet performs worse. It doesn't make sense.

22. milani macrumors 68000

milani

1. Haven't had any problems with 3G.
    2. Available all over my city, and in Calgary, Toronto, and all the other cities I've been with my phone in the past month.
    3. Never bothered, I still get a working day out of my phone.
    4. Maybe if you drop your phone it will crack.
    5. I keep my phone in a microfiber bag, so most fingerprints get wiped by the bag. I'm not too worried about it either way.
    6. I don't use GPS that often, but it's nice to pinpoint your position in a second and then use your current location to set a path to another destination. Just a bit easier, and a lot faster, than figuring out/typing in where you already are.
    7. There have been other improvements, such as speaker quality, but the notable improvement was the software, which was carried over to the original iPhone. When the 3G came out the new/improved operating system, and all of its new features, were what was driving the phone's popularity. Without the 3Gs development, the original iPhone wouldn't have the new operating system either, so your last point isn't really a fair point in my opinion.

23. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Explain to me how the development of the 3G made a difference in the software. Without the 3G, the iPhone 2.0 software wouldn't have been developed? That's a dumb assumption.

24. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Yes, there's nothing like beating a dead horse, is there? ;)

I love my fellow Americans who assume that things are the same in the rest of the world as they are in their little pocket of reality. Oh wait - no, I don't. For example, the fact that EDGE/GPRS isn't even available in some places (like Japan) or that the original iPhone was sold in five (or six?) countries, compared with the iPhone 3G's 70 countries. Is it any wonder then, that there might be huge demand for the iPhone 3G outside of BFE N.H.? :rolleyes: