IPhone 3G white box quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mmoran27, Aug 25, 2008.

1. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

I thought I might share my experience for you so that you know what to look out for.

My 1st 3G had no major problems except for the slight sharp edges on the sides. It did have problems with dropped calls, however. Apple swapped it for a white-box replacement.

These phones are remanufactured, refurbished, or whatever you would like to call it. The apple store genius said more than likely they are new since the phone came out a month ago.

The 1st replacement had sharp plastic protruding from the left side. You could cut yourself on it. They swapped it for another.

The 2nd unit looked fine cosmetically. However, I picked it up at noon and by 5:30 my battery had completely died. I did not even use the phone because I was at work. Bad battery. They swapped it for another.

The third unit had dust underneath the glass. I did not take this one home.

The fourth unit had dust under the glass. I did not take this one either.

The fifth unit also had dust underneath the glass. I did not take it home.

At this point the genius was completely frustrated and offered me a refund and I agreed. I then went and purchased another new phone.

Although this one looks and operated fine for 2 days, on the third, mail was completely unresponsive (would not get new mail and would crash) Also the phone was completely sluggish (1-2 minutes to return to home screen from any app). I did a restore and then restored from backup (It did not fix it. Mail unresponsive and sluggish).

At this point I restored it again and just said to create a new phone in itunes and just re-synched everything. I did lose all customized settings, but it appears to be back to normal now but for who knows how long before I need to restore again.

2. tomashi macrumors regular

sounds like you need to give up. this iphone isn't for you

3. YouArentJ macrumors member

YouArentJ

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Lesson learned? If your phone exhibits (possibly) software based problems only, hang onto it and see what comes of the update(s). So far there is no way of truly knowing who/what's to blame for dropped calls.

You're lucky they let you even get past phone #2. I was warned prior to returning mine that it was a one shot deal.

5. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

Ditto.

6. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Go get a new one. Sounds like they are replacing them like hot cakes.

7. mmoran27 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did get a new one.

They refunded my money and I just bought a new one. Within 2 days I had to restore it because it was unresponsive. Even the restored phone behaved the same way. I finally told Itunes to set it up as a new phone.

It seems fine now but for how long, who knows.

Also, its not like I was going to the genius 5 times. He just kept going through the white boxes. All of them had dust under the screen that could not be wiped off. If the screen were large I could live with this defect, but with small screens the dust is really noticeable.

I most definitely think that these are refurbished because of this. They typically replace all outer surfaces (glass, back case, chrome ring), etc. They do this by hand (hence the case fitting issues) and most certainly not in a clean room (hence the dust).

8. cmegalodon macrumors newbie

cmegalodon

White Box Replacement

I am on my third phone - two from the "white box". I didn't know they were refurbished.

1st phone - battery lasted about an hour while overheating
    2nd phone - reception issues
    3rd phone - keeping it so far - but the build is lesser quality than the second phone.

My mute button could open an envelope it is so sharp.

9. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

You are better with a HTC Diamond :cool: rather than the crappy unchanged 3G iPhone. I would get the old gen iPhone over the 3G one anytime.