iPhone 3G White screen of death (error 21)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by XeroX3d, Sep 17, 2011.

1. XeroX3d macrumors newbie

This is a friends phone. It was given to him and I do not know the history of it.
    I pulled the phone apart and reseated all of the cables, still stuck on the white screen and same errors. I replaced the LCD thinking that could be the problem, same thing.

When I flip the silent switch, the phone does not vibrate, indicating its not powered on.

When I plug the phone in, iTunes will detect it, but says it needs to be restored, so I select "restore and update", it starts the restore then gives me error 21.
    The phone will not turn on otherwise. I even went as far as replacing the battery. I can put it in DFU mode, but the backlight doesn't come on.

I've tried all four USB ports and still have the same issue.

2. XeroX3d thread starter macrumors newbie

I was messing around with the phone and now its working.
    What the... :confused:

Gotta love weird problems that solve themselves.

Its updating now I believe.

3. XeroX3d thread starter macrumors newbie

I lied. When I try to restore with 3.1.3 it gets all the way to the end then gives me error 6 in iTunes. :confused:

4. Eluded macrumors newbie

Eluded

Error 6: All of the steps in this article apply to this issue. Following Troubleshooting security software frequently resolves this error. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3125

There may be third-party software installed that modifies your default packet size in Windows by inserting a TcpWindowSize entry into your Registry. Your default packet size being set incorrectly can cause this error. Contact the manufacturer of the software that installed the packet size modification for assistance or follow this article by Microsoft: How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

5. XeroX3d thread starter macrumors newbie

I have nothing installed other than Microsoft security essentials.

I tried it on my old laptop (fresh install of XP) but iTunes keeps making the phone go in to recovery mode(white screen), even if its already in DFU mode. Then I get error 21.

Maybe I should try an older version of iTunes? :confused:

I don't understand why this stupid phone is giving me such a hard time.

6. XeroX3d thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, Even on the laptop with a fresh install of XP and nothing installed except iTunes, I'm still getting error 6 while trying to restore with 3.1.3. :mad:

7. XeroX3d thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to do the normal restore and got the error code 2009. :confused:
    The screen isn't even turning white now or showing the apple logo, it just looks like the display is off. I'm pretty sure its in DFU mode, tinyumbrella says so in the logs and I've been using ireb.