iPhone 3G White v Black Comparison

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattZani, Sep 20, 2008.

1. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Im Hopefully picking up a 16Gb iPhone tomorrow, but really cant decide which colour to get! So if you know of any side be side comparison pics, please do post them up, the more i see, the easier it'll be! I Hope....

2. mrilyam macrumors newbie

I would get the black. I hear the white ones crack on the back casing and Itll probably get dirty really fast, and even if you put on one of the invisashields on the back its still gonna collect dust and dirt on the corners and edges of the shield where it has open spacing and look really messy

3. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

I Know the ups and downs, and they weigh each other out for me.

Black
    No Visible Cracks
    Doesnt Get Dirty
    Lint Shows Up
    Scratches and Fingerprints show up

White
    Visible Cracks
    Could Get Dirty
    Lint doesnt show
    Scratches and Fingerprints less visible.

Thats why i need a side by side.

4. tryppy macrumors member

I've heard all of the reports as well but if you want to base it on pure looks,

the choice is up to you.

[​IMG]

I have the black myself. Fingerprints do smudge all over the back and I'm sure they do show much less on the white. In my experience, white objects tend to lose their overall colour and end up showing a little off gray.

The black I can see lasting longer in that aspect.

As for scratches, mine has a little 3mm scratch on the back due to the case I purchased at the Rogers store. I would think this would show up more on the Black.

Choose your style.

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Going only by the looks of the phone I say go with the black.

I really don't like the look of the white iPhone. If Apple had made the front around the screen white and not just the back of the phone I think I'd like it better. But color is such a personal choice, go to the store and look at them side by side. I'm sure if this was a poll it would end up 50/50. :)

6. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Thats the problem, Only O2 stores in my town, and they only have Blacks out :/ Also, rendered doesnt help, i've learnt very few things look like the colours theyre rendered.

Im leaning towards black, for the way the Apple Logo Stands out, but i really dunno.

7. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

I just wanted to point out that my white iPhone is as white as the day I bought it, I don't use a case or anything. Also I have no cracks.

8. Amt macrumors regular

The black one is a finger magnet. The white one isn't. I have a white one. Basically, I went with white, because it's only available as a 16GB one.

9. jasincity macrumors member

I also have a white without cracks (knock on wood) and is as bright as the day I bought it (on launch day). I like the white as I see so many others with the black.

10. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

just my $0.02 but the black goes better with the screen. In the end i use the marware sport sleeve so everything is covered except for the actual viewable portion of the sleeve so color means nothing to me

11. dranakin macrumors 6502

It's been said over and over: a white front is a terrible look. With the black screen background, a white front contrasts too much. Also, you're only looking at one side of the phone - you can't even tell if the phone you're holding is a white or black one.

The white is great the way it is.

12. davyreins macrumors 6502

It was a really tough decision for me too, but I went with white and haven't regretted it one bit. Everyone else that I know that has a black iphone, so I enjoy having something different.

13. oacory macrumors regular

It seems to me is that color choice has to do with the gender you are. lol
    All the females that I know who own an iPhone (there are more females than males) own the white iPhone but the males I know (including myself) who own iPhones all have black iPhones. So at least in my circle of friends who own iPhones, it depends on what your gender is.

14. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I'd say white. Far less common, finger prints and scratches won't show, and of course all the girls will think it's "cute." :D
    As for the cracks- they only show up if they occur. Cracking isn't an issue on all iPhone 3Gs.

15. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I got white, and there has been no trouble with dirt. I don't know what black iPhone owners think....be like drag our iPhones through the mud on a daily basis??

I think the white is classier and less common...also it's more Apple style.

16. LewisBeechey macrumors member

I have the White 16GB model. The white is incredibly nice!

Fingerprints or smears don't show or anything so it's alright for me!

17. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

No, it isn't. There's another thread here about this gender/color thing, and it's pretty clear that lots of men have a white iPhone.

Haven't you seen guys wearing pink or yellow golf shirts or dress shirts? Color has nothing to do with gender. It's what looks best to you.

18. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

19. trajansburton macrumors newbie

White

WHITE ALL THE WAY! More unique and looks more awesome!:apple:

20. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

To each his/her own. I would prefer it to be all one color but again that is just my opinion.

21. Mac Sux macrumors newbie

different =/= better
    most people have black for a reason
    the white/black on the phone looks stupid imo, shouldve just made the front white also and my opinion mayhave been different

22. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I hope at some point we get color choice like the new Nano's that would be cool. :)

23. Mac Sux macrumors newbie

i want a rainbow iphone with a unicorn painted on the back

24. phapn macrumors newbie

White was when initially released exclusive to Apple Stores and was not in o2 shops in the UK, giving it a bit more exclusiveness.

I don't know if that is still the case.

I love my white iphone, and people go omg thats a white one, as everyone seems to have black..