iPhone 3G Wifi Losing Connection

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by macker75, Oct 22, 2008.

1. macker75 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have an iPhone 3G Black 16GB with all the latest updates and what not.

I've been having a problem with the phone losing connectivity to Wifi. It's quite bizarre.

I have a Dell TrueMobile router that I've been using with various laptops for the past 3+ years (including a MacBook). No problems whatsoever. As far as I can tell the router works fine. I even did a factory reset.

Here's the problem. The iPhone identifies the wifi network fine and then connects to it. Then it works fine for a certain amount of time. I can use Remote, safari, whatever. It works fine. Then after a certain amount of usage (haven't pinned it down to an exact amount of time yet... I'd estimate about 10 minutes) it just stops working. It doesn't disable the wifi, and it doesn't lose the connection. If you go to settings and look at wifi, it still shows that it is connected. However everything stops working. Remote will stop dead in its tracks and won't respond to any buttons. Safari and internet apps will simply stop working-- they'll just constantly load but never make any progress. The only way to solve it is to go into settings, turn wifi off, then turn it back on. Then the wifi works fine until the problem repeats.

It's quite bizarre. Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Naples1381 macrumors newbie

3G - Wifi

I see the same behavior. I have an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. I have my network set to use specific IP addresses each time they connect. I have MacBook, and several windows systems (XP/Vista) and an Apple Airport that connects the Directv DVR. My son also has a 3G.

Last night I moved the Wifi connection to have a static ip address in place of the DHCP selection. The network appeared more stable after that but limited use (short amount of time) says 'wait and see'.