iPhone 3G will have turn by turn navigation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbplayer5, Jul 8, 2008.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

2. Waterpolo820 macrumors regular

Thank you for clearing that one up, and I can't wait to buy that TomTom app, cause I have no navi in my car.

3. admanimal macrumors 68040

While I agree that we will see the TomTom app with turn-by-turn navigation, that article you posted doesn't clear anything up. It's from June 9th and most people here have already seen it/know about it and continue to dispute whether it will actually be released or not.

4. xbigman15x macrumors member

Supposedly this is untrue. Apple is reported saying the antenna in the phone is too small for turn-by-turn navigation. I don't know too much about hot GPS works so i can't really speak to the validity of this when Tom Tom has gone on record saying they are working on it. Plus if it can track where you are, why can't it tell you when to turn?

Source: Check the "reviews" post on page 1.

5. xbigman15x macrumors member

Yeah, he is totally right. You didn't provide any proof of your claim.

6. specops macrumors regular

my friends phone has Assisted GPS and it works FINE for turn by turn.

If you watch the WWDC demo of the GPS it CLEARLY could tell when the car was turning on that curvey road. Thats all you need to be able to do turn by turn nav. It just takes the right software.
    [which i believe will come with a official App as long as apple wants it. :( ]

7. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

We shall see. Either way, my point was, its proof that turn by turn DOES work on the iphone.

8. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

9. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

3rd party developers will make applications to do so. I've heard TomTom or Garmin has one in development.

10. 2WheelsGood macrumors newbie

Until you need to make a phone call, surf the web, listen to music, watch a movie, etc... Let's not forget that the iPhone was not designed primarily as a navigation unit. I certainly don't expect my iPhone to replace my Nuvi or my Legend CX.

11. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

If it did you'd be out of luck if someone called right before a turn :p

12. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

oh ok whats the phone number for your garmin so i can call you or send you a text. maybe you want me to send you an email on it. while im at it ill send you a link to my website so you can check it out. didnt think so