Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spazattack674

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Boston
Okay, so this is really weird.

I was at Starbucks this morning, using the AT&T WiFi, and then, after I was finished using my phone, I put it in my pocket. As I was going to leave, I went to hit the sleep/wake button to check the time, and it wouldn't turn on. I tried reseting it, holding down the sleep/wake and home button, and I tried moving the silent/ringer switch to see if the phone was on (because when i move the switch to silent it vibrates--which didn't happen this time), and it was off. I can't get it to turn on. It was fully charged, it was charging all night on AC power, and I connected it to my computer and AC power with two different charging cables. I'm wondering what the issue could be? I've looked on Apple's support pages and couldn't find anything and I've never heard of anything like this happening. I'm trying to avoid going into an Apple Store today because of the huge amounts of people shopping, so can anyone give me some guidance on how to fix this?

(By the way, it's a 16GB Black iPhone 3G, if that makes a difference)

Thanks in advance. :)

mohicanspap

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2008
Okay, so this is really weird.

I was at Starbucks this morning, using the AT&T WiFi, and then, after I was finished using my phone, I put it in my pocket. As I was going to leave, I went to hit the sleep/wake button to check the time, and it wouldn't turn on. I tried reseting it, holding down the sleep/wake and home button, and I tried moving the silent/ringer switch to see if the phone was on (because when i move the switch to silent it vibrates--which didn't happen this time), and it was off. I can't get it to turn on. It was fully charged, it was charging all night on AC power, and I connected it to my computer and AC power with two different charging cables. I'm wondering what the issue could be? I've looked on Apple's support pages and couldn't find anything and I've never heard of anything like this happening. I'm trying to avoid going into an Apple Store today because of the huge amounts of people shopping, so can anyone give me some guidance on how to fix this?

(By the way, it's a 16GB Black iPhone 3G, if that makes a difference)

Thanks in advance. :)

Try putting it into DFU mode. Hold the home and power button for ten seconds then while still holding the home button release the power buttom and continue holding for another ten seconds then release. You wont be able to tell if you did correctly unless you plug it into your computer because the will be blank. To tell that you did do i correctly plug it into your computer and itunes will say something about a ipod/iphone in recovery mode. If you did do it correctly unplug your phone and do a master reboot. Hold down home and power button for ten seconds. That will take it out of DFU mode and turn it completly off. Then just turn it back on. Good luck. Hope it works.
Sorry if it doesnt

spazattack674

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Boston
Thanks for the help, but I ended up going to the Genius Bar, unfortunately. They just connected it to power and it reset, but right as I got to my car, the phone wouldn't turn on, and then the screen started flashing colors, and it started vibrating, and then the screen turned white, something I had never seen. When I left the Apple Store the first time, the Genius said that if it happened again they would replace it. So, I walked in 3 minutes later, and he said he hasd never seen that either, and was showing it to the other Geniuses, because the colors and vibration and white was happening in a cycle. So, they went to replace it, but didn't have any 16GB black in stock. So, I have to wait until they get more in stock.

spazattack674

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Boston
hah, yeah. Haven't really thought of that. It broke yestarday morning, so I'm at about 24 hours without a working iPhone. Unfortunately, my last phone was a Sidekick II, and it's locked into T-Moblie and uses their network services to function, so that's out. The next newest phone I have is an unlocked Nokia 6010 Link to Picture. Hopefully it comes in today, God knows, the greeter at the Apple Store is on a first name basis with me, why stop now.

This has really made me appreciate the features of the iPhone, and how hard it is to text on a conventional keyboard.

spazattack674

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Boston
Okay, so we're at 48 hours now, and I am still iPhone-less. I had to use the extra battery on my wonderful Nokia 6010, because currently the charger is MIA. And, the number Apple has to contact me is my cell phone number, so that will become problematic soon, if they don't call. I think I'm going to call tomorrow if they don't call today, because I was told that it would take 1-2 days tops, and I still haven't received a call.

milychris

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
Omg, it works

Try putting it into DFU mode. Hold the home and power button for ten seconds then while still holding the home button release the power buttom and continue holding for another ten seconds then release. You wont be able to tell if you did correctly unless you plug it into your computer because the will be blank. To tell that you did do i correctly plug it into your computer and itunes will say something about a ipod/iphone in recovery mode. If you did do it correctly unplug your phone and do a master reboot. Hold down home and power button for ten seconds. That will take it out of DFU mode and turn it completly off. Then just turn it back on. Good luck. Hope it works.
Sorry if it doesnt

My Iphone turned of last night and wouldn't carge or tun on or anything.. Her this morning I was almost reaching panic level, BUT what you said works :) Thank you, thank you, thank you

aguntuku

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
Thanks a lot

OMG.. I left my old iphone 3G unused because of this issue. just did the way mentioned by putting it in DFU mode and it worked. Thanks a lot. I couldn't resist myself creating an account and thank you guys.

kingmb08

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
Sorry if it doesnt

Thanks worked for me also.....I think I accedentally did this DFU mode thing a couple of months ago when my phone would not turn on. Now my phone started acting up again and this worked great.........thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.