iphone 3g with different o2 sim

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by entwife, Jul 21, 2008.

1. entwife macrumors regular

Hey Chaps,
    im not sure if this has been asked and i apologise if it has been but i need some infomation. My friend is bidding on iphone 3g on ebay he is going to put his original o2 sim in it (contract originally from n95) and i wasnt sure what would happen and neither was he, so when he connects it to itunes will the phone reject the sim or will itunes try to make him change tariff to an iphone one? the Unit is sealed and brand new, its a upgrade handset being sold for the silly money they are going for.

He would like to keep everything the way it is and be able to get all updates etc as normal (he doesnt really want to modify it).

Cheers

2. barryallott macrumors member

Currently the iPhone 3G is 'UNLOCKABLE' therefore the only way he will be ok is if he bids on one that is a UK model and not a US model. Then he will need to put in the o2 sim and use the iphone dev teams pwnage tool 2.1 to activate the phone!!! Then he can use this form

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=29&q1=21

to upgrade their tariff to a iphone tariff. This means that they will be enabled at o2's end for visual voice mail and they will get the free cloud and bt openzone wi-fi.

I have not actually done this myself (other o2 sim in iphone 3g) but the transfer tarif works as I got an 2g iphone and did this with my current tariff.

To note as well, if he does not want to use the pwnage tool to activate then iTunes will allow you to activate as an existing customer as long as he changes his tariff as detailed above. but this is documentated on o2's website for 2g iphones only I do not know anyone who has tried it with a 3g iPhone.

3. entwife thread starter macrumors regular

but if he doesnt fill that form it i presume he will stay on same tariff?
    cheers

4. barryallott macrumors member

Should do, if you see this page on the 02 site

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI...00000001942462044,K=8131,Sxi=7,Case=obj(18219)

It states that you will be able to stay on your monthy tariff but not be able to use visual voice mail and stuff.

Worth to note, if he does goto the iphone tariff he doesnt start again on the 18 month contract, its keeps going from when he got the orig one.

5. entwife thread starter macrumors regular

cheers mate