iPhone 3G with iOS 4.0 - crashing :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ubuntu, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Greetings all,

After updating to 4.0 on the 22nd of June I had severe issues where the iPhone would essentially turn off whenever the display turned off. If it was on the mains it would be fine, otherwise it'd do this, require a reset and claim it was on 20% battery (even if it was actually fully charged).

I deleted the update file on my laptop and redownloaded which didn't fix initially but then suddenly it worked fine.:confused:

However I let the iPhone run out of battery yesterday accidentally and now the issue is back. I've tried restoring without backups, new files etc and its still doing it.

Any help? Thanks.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

The battery could be on it's way out, how long have you had it?

Not to worry you, but after updating to 4.0, my phone would turn off at utter random times like yours, eventually it lost everything, serial number, storage indicator, IMEI number, but I'm pretty sure mine was a long running issue.

Still, if you've done a complete software restore then the only real thing you can do is take it into Apple and see what they say.

3. barjam macrumors 6502

IOS4 is really, really bad on the 3g to the point it makes the phone unusable. I finally had time to remove downgrade it this morning which was kind of a pain (primarily because I run windows 7 64, ended up having to have my linux server do the final "get out of restore mode"). I was just going to wait it out until my iphone 4 gets here but I couldn't stand it anymore! Besides I wouldn't feel right selling my 3g with ios4 on it since it makes it pretty much worthless.

Good luck!

4. aperantos macrumors member

I have not had any such problems on my iPhone 3G other than a nightmare install that lasted to days and a couple of apps which regularly crash. Those are:

TwitBird Pro crashes a lot when I select a photo from the album to upload. It also always crashes if I do this while the iPod is playing. You just have to keep trying.

The iPod sometimes usually fails to play when I use the button on the lock screen or headphones without having played it within the last few minutes (it is okay if I had recently paused). If I then try to open the iPod the app crashes the first time, but opens the second time.

Nothing like you describe though, it does sound to me like it could be battery related too, as Schtumple suggests.

Aside from being a bit lethargic at times I have otherwise had no problems with iOS 4. That said I would not recommend it to anyone with a 3G though unless they need the features it adds just because it is a lot of hassle for a slower phone.

For me the fix for jerky scrolling on the podcasts menu of the iPod introduced with iOS 3.1 and the benefit of folders were features I had long waited for and made it worthwhile for me.

Michael.

5. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I wouldn't go so far as saying my 3G is unusable with iOS4, but it is definitely a lot slower. Plus kind of quirky in places. Just hope my 4 comes in soon. I will not be upgrading my wife's 3G to iOS4 (she isn't getting an iPhone 4).

6. doubleosix macrumors newbie

I'm using the 3G iPhone and mine crashes every since the update to 4.0 as well. Its also running very slow.