Iphone 3G with Ios 4.0 fast or slow Poll

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by OttawaGuy, Jun 22, 2010.

?

Does IOS 4 run fast or slow on your Iphone 3G?

1. Fast

48 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. Slow

66 vote(s)
    57.9%
  1. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

Many People have installed Ios 4 on their Iphone 3 G. Some say it's running great others say it's slow. Please vote on your experience in the poll.

Ultimately, I'd like to find out what the reason for the discrepancy is for the 2 different user experiences.

I would like to hear any theories that explain why it's working well on some 3G models and not well on other 3 G models.

2. Pimptastic macrumors regular

Pimptastic

Running fine for me. Would say a little bit better than 3.1.3

3. OttawaGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

4. Pimptastic macrumors regular

Pimptastic

No idea.

The only thing i may have done different to you is, i restored and setup the phone as a "new phone", i didn't restore from backup..

what did you do?

5. OttawaGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

Hi,

I haven't installed IOS 4 on my 3 G yet. I'm just hoping someone or a group of us can explain why the situation seems to be different on the same hardware.

Your post may contain a valuable piece of the puzzle.

Thanks

6. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

iOS 4.0 jailbroken, battery percentage and homescreen wallpaper activated, but no multitasking.

running perfectly smooth, so far.

i wonder if not having to use winterboard will be a benefit or if apple's folders and wallpaper implementation is actually less lightweight :/

7. dandelionhk macrumors newbie

I have both wallpaper and multitasking on... freaking slow!

8. Imsuperjp macrumors 6502

I have wallpaper and multitasking enabled and it is slow. almost as slow as using a windows mobile phone

9. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Multi + Wallpapers are on for me, no complaints about the speed. Just restored as new and everything is golden.

10. No ice please macrumors 6502

Mines running good. I backed up my apps. Did a fresh install of 3.1.3. Then installed the 4.0 GM. Put my apps back on and it was fine.

11. Naked Snake macrumors member

Have ios4 on my 3G and used redsn0w to enable wallpaper and multitasking. Did a restore and then synced from backup. It's running smooth. Multitasking runs well. Not the fastest or slowest but it works pretty good. Was pretty surprised on performance with all the "sluggish" or "really slow" reactions. So far so good.

12. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Better.

Without Winterboard (replaced by wallpapers), things go much smoother.

13. JonB3Z macrumors 6502

Slightly faster. Doesn't (yet?) seem to have the long pauses during keyboard input I was sometimes experiencing.

14. Baschdi616 macrumors newbie

My 3G is soo slow. I have activated multitasking on it. Is there a way to deactivate it without restoring it?:)

After a restart of my phone is there only 33mb of free RAM. Why?

15. GPXtC02 macrumors newbie

My 3G, with multitasking and wallpaper, is pretty slow too. I even disabled the icon shadows, which helped a bit, but there is still almost a one-second delay when opening folders. It takes a good six or seven seconds for Messages to fully open, etc.

I plan on deleting those languages when it's possible but other than that, are there any other ways to optimize 3G speed? or remove multitasking without undoing everything else?

16. Kinseek macrumors newbie

http://www.ihelplounge.com/ihelplou...ing-on-the-iphone-3g-os-40.html#axzz0rcSSG4Px

You shouldnt use that number as an indicator of performance. Any modern OS will try to keep as much memory as it can in use, for improved performance (since it doesnt have to access the slower HD so often). The OS will juggle this used memory as smart as it can to those apps that need it more then it being "ready for when an app might need it".

Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons

Did you upgrade or do a full restore? Some say doing a full restore can give better performance - less junk behind from older OS. Disabling multitasking will also give more speed, you can do it by following my first link in this post.

17. Macopotamus macrumors regular

Macopotamus

18. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

When going to spotlight, it takes 10 seconds or so to allow me to type something, same thing in mail.. If I try typing the email address, it also takes 10 seconds or so for it to start.

Lastly, when in system preferences, it has lag from going from one option (ie General) to another (main Settings)

19. GPXtC02 macrumors newbie

I upgraded.

Mind telling me exactly what a full restore will do? Won't it just revert me back to regular unjailbroken iOS 4.0? or does "factory defaults" mean everything (contacts, messages) will be deleted?

20. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

gee after 12 hours the vote is very close!! 24 say slow and 23 say fast, im just as confused why do people feel its faster, and why its slower, is the difference that minimal?:confused::confused: or the line is that thin

21. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

iOS 4 was freaking flying compared to 3.1.2 JB. It was very fast in comparison.

Jailbreaked and added multitasking and wallpapers. Little slower than it was with 3.1.2.

I don't like that. I've had a taste of the speed. I want it back.

22. GPXtC02 macrumors newbie

yea. i restored/took out multitasking, it's running comfortably now.

23. mcprobie macrumors member

mcprobie

My experience is definitely faster ... But I've been iPhone-less for about 3 months :D

iOS 4.0 is very fast on my 3GS, but it's still stock (stock JB) ... no extra applications are installed yet.