Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdnsolseeker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2013
Ho Guys,

I have an old iphone 3g that for the life I me i cannot figure out why it wont restore. It was previously jail broken (it's a spare that I was going to use when I head to the states); but along the way in went into recovery mode and I can't seem to restore it to any state.

I've tried pretty much every tutorial i can find. I was using primary Redsn0w and and iphone 3g custom restore firmware 4.2.1_8C148; but Redsn0w say that it doesn't work with that version of Redsn0w (I'm using 9.15)

Any suggestions?

is there something I'm missing?

I've also had a few issues with my usb timing out which is odd because I tried 2 different cables in all 3 of the usb ports on my iphone4S with no problems.

The only thing I can think of is that somewhere along the way I accidentally installed ipod touch firmware on the phone (when plugging it into itunes it initially comes up as "ipod connected" and then flips to iphone 3g). The other thing that made me think that it's ipod firmware is that I had a error 3194 thown at me last time I tried to restore (again using another tutorial).

I thought this was impossible? maybe i'm wrong - obviously wouldn't be the first time :)

I'm super stuck. HELP is appreciated. Please and Thank you.

Ryan Burgess

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
Ho Guys,

I have an old iphone 3g that for the life I me i cannot figure out why it wont restore. It was previously jail broken (it's a spare that I was going to use when I head to the states); but along the way in went into recovery mode and I can't seem to restore it to any state.

I've tried pretty much every tutorial i can find. I was using primary Redsn0w and and iphone 3g custom restore firmware 4.2.1_8C148; but Redsn0w say that it doesn't work with that version of Redsn0w (I'm using 9.15)

Any suggestions?

is there something I'm missing?

I've also had a few issues with my usb timing out which is odd because I tried 2 different cables in all 3 of the usb ports on my iphone4S with no problems.

The only thing I can think of is that somewhere along the way I accidentally installed ipod touch firmware on the phone (when plugging it into itunes it initially comes up as "ipod connected" and then flips to iphone 3g). The other thing that made me think that it's ipod firmware is that I had a error 3194 thown at me last time I tried to restore (again using another tutorial).

I thought this was impossible? maybe i'm wrong - obviously wouldn't be the first time :)

I'm super stuck. HELP is appreciated. Please and Thank you.

Have you tried restoring through iTunes when your phone is in DFU mode? (DFU is when the screen is completely black. Not the connect to iTunes screen)

cdnsolseeker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2013
I have; but I can't remember what error message I got. So I'm doing it again right now....

----------

Ok. Done. - got a error 1015

cdnsolseeker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2013
I think we were posting at the same time. #

Got a 1015 - which should be an easy fix redsn0w, clean 4.2.1 firmware and custom 4.2.1 (which is actually really tough to find).

Did I miss something?

Ryan Burgess

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
I think we were posting at the same time. #

Got a 1015 - which should be an easy fix redsn0w, clean 4.2.1 firmware and custom 4.2.1 (which is actually really tough to find).

Did I miss something?

When you're restoring in iTunes are you trying to restore to a custom ipsw? Or are you just clicking restore? Usually the 1015 is when you try to "downgrade" the software…I've never done that process with redsn0w before so I can't comment there.

cdnsolseeker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2013
Well I've actually attempted both already. The most recent (where a 1015 popped up) was just your typical iTunes restore.

Plug it in, hit restore (delete all the data, settings, etc) and then let iTunes do its thing.

Any other ideas?

cdnsolseeker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2013
When you're restoring in iTunes are you trying to restore to a custom ipsw? Or are you just clicking restore? Usually the 1015 is when you try to "downgrade" the software…I've never done that process with redsn0w before so I can't comment there.

So I also just tried running the itunes and install the custom restore firmware (that bypasses the baseband) and i got error 1604.

Thanks for the help Ryan. Any other ideas?

Ryan Burgess

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
So I also just tried running the itunes and install the custom restore firmware (that bypasses the baseband) and i got error 1604.

Thanks for the help Ryan. Any other ideas?

1604 refers to the USB connection to the iPhone if you haven't already, I would suggest trying these steps:

Connect the device to iTunes, confirm that the device is in Recovery Mode. If it's not in Recovery Mode, put it into Recovery Mode.
Restore and wait for the error.
When prompted, click OK.
Close and reopen iTunes while the device remains connected.
The device should now be recognized in Recovery Mode again.
Try to restore again.

I had this same exact problem with my iPhone 3G about 2 years ago…I just can't remember how I fixed it lol! Try that above and let me know what it says.

cdnsolseeker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2013
So I tried that.

I got a 1015 the first time. Closed itunes, reopened without turning off or unpluging the phone and then ran it again. got a 1015 again.

cdnsolseeker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2013
Thanks for talking me through this Ryan. As a result - I managed to get it operation through Redsn0w, tinyumbrella, and the 4.2.1 firmware.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.