iphone 3g with no touch screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dragonmantek, Mar 8, 2009.

1. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

my friend dropped his iphone 3g into a toilet, and then he dried drying it off but it didn't work, so he just got another one after apple said they don't cover water damage or whatever.

so he just got another one and gave this one to me and said "if you can fix it it's yours, but if you don't fix it, it's yours anyway"

so he pretty much just gave me a non-touch screen iphone.

it doesn't work at ALL. everything else works though, any suggestions as to how i can fix it?

2. Katuls macrumors member

sell it on ebay. That would be your best bet. if its 3g, a techy will buy it, maybe for $150 or so.

3. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Yup, new digitalizer, Glass screen and touch part. $99 iFixiT. THat might be it, or he @#$%ed up more than just the touch screen

4. dragonmantek thread starter macrumors regular

dragonmantek

update; the touch screen somewhat works now. i didn't do much, i just left it next to a radiator and restored the whole thing.

i put my sim card into it and it seems to be working fine.

huzzah!

5. bina12834 macrumors regular

best thing for drying an electonic device is to either surround it with uncooked rice, or lay it on top uncooked rice. the rice helps to absorb all of the moisture inside the phone.

6. dragonmantek thread starter macrumors regular

dragonmantek

what about just blow drying it. i don't see how the rice would take anything out, especially since the rice can't get inside the phone o_O.

as well as, this phone has been water free for about a month.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

What are they teaching kids in school these days?

8. dragonmantek thread starter macrumors regular

dragonmantek

not very insightful. i'm not even a kid, maybe if you could explain it to me, i might try it out.

no need for any of that!

9. sparkyms macrumors 65816

10. bwhite850 macrumors newbie

Rice is extremely absorbent and has the ability to pull moisture out of the air (to some degree). It is the best way to get that small amount of lingering moisture out of the phone by lowering the humidity of the air surrounding the device. Just make sure the package is sealed and the phone is completely covered for it to work best - let it sit for at least 24 hours. Make sure the rice isn't full of dust!

11. dragonmantek thread starter macrumors regular

dragonmantek

thanks for the advice, i'll keep that in mind.

12. michaelwithe21 macrumors member

michaelwithe21

Same exact thing for me..

Buddy walked into a gacuzi (pool) with his 3g 8 gig iphone (Black). He blew dry it and then let it sit in the sun for a bit... when plugged in... nothing... when not plugged in... nothing.
    So he gave it to me to fix...
    I took it apart (screen, motherboard, battery) and blew dried everything. Found drops of water under the battery and on top... probably main problem.
    So after trying to put it back together... the camera strip that connects the motherboard to the camera kept getting in the way, and no matter how hard I tried... I couldnt get it to stay under... so like the ******* i am, i just cut it (connecter) =P
    Anywho, after I put it back together, I got a low battery sign and charged it for a couple minutes before it turned to apple, then no sim card displayed (he still had his). I slid the bar to unlock and it worked!!! BUT THEN TWO SECONDS LATER IT WAS BACK TO NO TOUCH SCREEN!!!
    So I plopped in my sim and backed up his contacts and pictures...
    Restored it in recovery mode... and still no touch screen... I noticed when I took it apart that the Screen Connector Number 1 was very moldy or gucked up with what appeared as water damage... and the dam thing kept popping off...
    I will continue to blow dry it and open up to let air out... hopefully we can fix this without buying a new screen... not really worth it if ya gatta pay 100 bucks...
    please update what you mean by partially working touch screen!