iPhone 3G without a plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by homrb, Jun 9, 2009.

1. homrb macrumors regular

Hello! I want to buy my young daughter an iPod Touch, but because of its high price I came up with a great idea. What if I bought the $99 iPhone 3G, then do not buy a phone plan, so it would be all the features except the phone. Is this possible?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No it's not.

Does she really need an iPod? Everyone seems to be buying their kids iPods, and I just don't understand it. It's a status symbol for them, nothing more.

I was babysitting for my friend, and his son made off with my iPod Touch. He gave it back when I told him he could have it, so long as he let me use it indefinitely. All he wanted was to have an iPod, not to use one.

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Yes, but only after being charged hundreds of dollars in registration and cancellation fees. ;)

4. denizzziz13 macrumors member

Um, perhaps people want iPods because they'd like to listen to music?

Fascinating, I know.

5. racers macrumors regular

True, but its more of a status symbol

6. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

In my case iPhone fit the build, so that I no longer had to carry an iPod and a BlackBerry at all times. What a revolutionary idea. And to the OP: I wish I could use my first gen iPhone for my brother who has a BB without a data plan, and an iPod Touch. To get AT&T to block the data to that SIM card, yet allow the iPhone to make calls and text would be amazing... Oh well.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe the 99 dollar price is the rebated price, i.e. you need to purchase a 2 year contract to be able to get the 8gb phone for 99 bucks.

You best be served to get a used iPhone off craigslist or ebay if you're intent on getting her an iPhone but want to avoid signing a contract. The other option is to buy an iPod touch.