iPhone 3g without data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spetykowski, Jul 6, 2008.

  1. spetykowski macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2007
    #1
    Sorry if repost, searched but couldnt find the answer I was looking for...

    I live in the USA and I wanted to purchase the iPhone 3g , though I live in an area where I am constantly in a wifi area so I see no need for a data plan. Is it possible to purchase and iPhone 3g and not use a data plan, I really only would use the iPod and phone functions. I don't want a 1g iPhone. I am on a fmaily plan, and would be the only one with an iPhone on that plan. What should I do!?

    Thanks.
     
  2. Waterpolo820 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    #2
    From what I can understand there is no way that you can do that
     
  3. cbflip2000 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    #3
    no you can not get the phone from AT&T w/out the data plan.
     
  4. dohspc macrumors regular

    dohspc

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2008
    Location:
    Plano, TX
    #4
    Maybe when they start selling the phone for the non commitment pricing 599/699? Who knows when that will be but that pricing is listed in their docs.
     
  5. Enuratique macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2008
    #5
    I've been following this saga for a while now, and without some very convoluted steps, your only option will be the expensive no-commitment plan which until now has been vaporware.

    I, like you, don't really feel the need for the data plan as 80% of the time I'm within wifi that I have access to, the other 20% time might be when I'm at a bar and a particular query strikes my fancy and I want to look up the answer right then and there. I currently have a RAZR and have never used it to surf the web because frankly, the phone's browser is a complete POS. So basically, I don't know what my needs are as far as data is concerned. I'm sure once I had a phone that browsing was pleasurable on, I would actually browse frequently. I guess I can afford the $30 extra for the data plan, but not living in a 3G network really makes me go from the "sucks, but it's worth it" category to the "this just plain sucks" category.

    So basically, it goes down like this for me:

    I keep my existing AT&T plan (been eligible for an upgrade for a while now), pay $599 for the no-commitment plan and life is good. If I do this, it would NOT be in my best interest to upgrade my data plan within the first 14 months of ownership ($400 price difference between subsidized price and unsubsidized price divided by $30) in the event that my data needs paid a la carte exceed $30 per month. My back of the napkin calculations show that AT&T charges $0.01 per k! That means I'd get 3000 kilobytes of traffic for $30 or roughly less than 3MB. Clearly that won't work.

    So basically, even if you don't need unlimited 3G, it takes over half of the contract to recoup the cost of the phone alone. In that case, if you do get the no-commitment price, you're best off not using the thing for 3G data at all - call AT&T and tell them to block that traffic entirely. If you were to add data on to your plan after getting the unsubsidized price, you've just lost out on the subsidy.

    In my situation (not living near 3G) the best thing would be to give options that weren't "unlimited" or perhaps offer the old EDGE-only plan. It's a little bit of a bitter pill to swallow that I already pay out the ass for a decent internet connection, and $40 for just voice - so to add a service that is already 3/4 of what I'm used to paying to AT&T with little perceived value I just have a hard time justifying... I just wish the data plan was either not required, or you more than one option.
     
  6. spetykowski thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2007
    #6
    ugh... This is very dissapointing to hear, but I guess a data plan it is.:confused:
     
  7. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    #7
    why do you want a new iphone 3g so badly if you're always within wifi range?

    this means you wont need 3g (always in wifi range)

    and won't need gps (or at least i hope you wont)

    so whats the benefit? just go on ebay and buy a 1st gen before its too late.
     
  8. slicecom macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2003
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #8
    The sexy black back. :D
     
  9. spetykowski thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2007
    #9

    Personally I like the overall look of the iphone 3g much more than the original. I also like the 16gig at a lower price. I have a lot of music that I would like to put on. I’ve looked at the original iphones on ebay. Not only are they almost twice as expensive as a brand new 3g, but would also have a data plan to pay as well. Im really just looking for a way around the data plan as a whole.
     

Share This Page