iPhone 3G Without Data Plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ferrisb, Jul 28, 2008.

1. ferrisb macrumors member

Over the weekend while running a load of laundry, we heard a strange noise coming from the dryer. Turns out it was my wife's cell phone - a freebie Nokia 6555. After disassembling it, and letting it dry out all weekend, it still doesn't work, so we're going to the AT&T store tonight to pick up a new phone.

My wife has offered to take my phone (same model - she really likes it) and let me get an iPhone - provided that I can get it without the data plan. I'm fine with that, since 90% of the time, I'm near some free wifi, and the times I'm not, $30/month is a joke to pay for web access.

Is it possible to get an iPhone without the dataplan? Has anyone had any success doing this in the US with AT&T?

2. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

do a search, this has been discussed quite a bit. I think one of the threads is still towards the top of this forum.

3. ferrisb thread starter macrumors member

I had performed a search, but I couldn't find the answer to that question. Hence, the reason I posted.

4. jerryh macrumors newbie

Getting an unlocked 1st gen iphone from ebay is a better and much cheaper thing to do. Or better yet you can unlock it yourself.

5. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Simple answer is no, and it has more to do with the contract. You are required to have the data plan if you have an iPhone, and AT&T reserves the right to add it back onto the plan even if you had it removed.