iPhone 3G won't backup after 3.0 Update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slu, Jun 17, 2009.

1. slu macrumors 68000

slu

So I updated my iPhone 3G to 3.0 without issue. Then I updated my apps and started a sync. It started to backup, but it seemed to be frozen after a very small amount, so I canceled the backup and started to sync again. Now, it doesn't even seem to start the backup at all. I just get the progress bar with the diagonal lines, with no progress at all (same progress bar you see when it says Contacting the iTunes store).

Anyone else seen this or know how to resolve this?

I supposed I could restore the iPhone, or should I just wait it out?

Thanks.

2. slu thread starter macrumors 68000

slu

Well, I may be overreacting. The backup has now started and progressed farther than it did the first time. I am probably being impatient, but this is taking a lot longer than it did before the 3.0 update.

I suppose I'll just wait it out as it seems others have had similar issues with the 3.0 beta and perhaps it will get faster after the first sync.

3. Smrtphoneaddict macrumors member

My backups freeze because I have ESPN Scorecenter installed. Apparently ESPN knows about this issue and is going to fix it. Do you have this app installed?

4. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

5. slu thread starter macrumors 68000

slu

I do not have that app installed. The backup is still going, but it is still very slow. It has been about 20 minutes so far, but it looks to be almost done.

What is funny is that I was going to download the ESPN app, but I have Sportacular, so I felt I had no need for it. I guess I am lucky.

6. slu thread starter macrumors 68000

slu

OK. So I definitely overreacted. It finally finished the sync, it just took about 20 minutes.

Hopefully it doesn't take this long every time going forward.

7. malolans macrumors member

I had this issue. Removed the app and the backup worked. Thanks!!

8. rmeng macrumors newbie

Same issue here with ESPN sportscenter.

Removed the app and I can back up again.

unbelievable

9. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Had the same problem going on. Removed ESPN Scorecenter and it backed up with no problems.

10. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

I've got Scorecenter, and it took about an hour for my first backup after 3.0 to work...

all the backups since then have been fast though. (Didn't remove Scorecenter)

11. epicmar macrumors regular

I had no problem with the 3.0 upgrade on Wednesday, but my phone won't get past the diagonal backing up iPhone lines after 2 or 3 hours waiting. It never even displays the backup progress bar. I don't have ESPN Scorecenter installed.

Any ideas?

12. JBmac macrumors member

JBmac

Same problem here

I get about a quarter of the way backed up, and it justs hangs there. Goes no further. Tried once last night, and twice tonight.

Saturday June 20th: Problem resolved, I control clicked on my iPhone in iTunes and choose the backup option. It took a little bit of time to back up, but if finally completed. I then sync'd and backed up again too.

13. Clutchcity macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem with my iphone not backing up. It gets about 25% of the way through and then just freezes even though it still looks like it is backing up in itunes. But the status bar doesn't move. Does anyone know how to remedy this? I have tried several times since last night but nothing happens. The iphone has now been backing up for more than 3 hours and will not finish.

14. honavery macrumors newbie

My first backup/synch tonight after installing 3.0 was VERY slow. Close to an hour. I have ESPN Scorecenter installed, but I had that before 3.0 and it was fine. Hopefully they won't take as long going forward.

15. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

My phone is having a lot of trouble backing up too. After about 3 hours, it just hangs. I'm going to start eliminating apps on my phone (ones that I know I can easily place back on in the future) and see if this helps. This is very frustrating and one of the one things I hate about this phone. As for my upgrade to 3.0, that took 7 minutes tops.

16. epicmar macrumors regular

Does your phone display the backup progress bar? After hours, my phone doesn't even get to the backup progress bar. It just stays on the full diagonal bar. I have rebooted my phone and tried specifying only to synch a playlist with one song and about 3 applications.

17. epicmar macrumors regular

I saw somewhere else where someone with the same problem, stopped the backup by clicking the X in on their PC in the backup progress box and then their iphone synched. So I tried it and it worked! After the phone successfully synched, I selected the iphone icon under devices in the left sidebar, right clicked, and selected backup and it completed a backup in about 15 minutes.

18. trihard macrumors member

ESPN app == Slow Backup

I was having the same problem, and came across this thread. I removed the ESPN app, and low and behold it finished my backup in a normal amount of time. ESPN should either remove the app or post something about it because that was heinous!

19. katiegirl1983 macrumors newbie

ESPN same problem for me

I was having the same backup problems. Backup was taking well over an hour and the one time I was actually patient enough to let it run over 2 hours I finally got an error message.

...now that I came across this thread I deleted the Sports Center app and tried to sync again....this time backup took 15 minutes (it's the first one I've actually be able to complete since 3.0 update).

Deleting SC is at least worth a try if you have it, it worked for me.

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Thanks for posting this.

21. rvander macrumors newbie

It worked!

I was having same trouble - last Backup was March. I deleted ESPN ScoreCenter, right clicked & selected Backup, but still no change. I deleted my old Backup, then right clicked once again and now happily have a current Backup! Yay!