iPhone 3G won't recharge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xXSL1MXx, Dec 19, 2009.

1. xXSL1MXx macrumors member

I have an iPhone 3G. I used up the whole battery to the point where it turns off automatically. I didn't think much of it, just that i'd recharge it the next morning. I woke up and turned it on. It said 0% up top on the iphone. So I just let it charge. I came back 1 hour later to see that it was still on 0%!! I don't know what to do! It has "limited" warranty remaining. Any help?

2. Emulsion macrumors 6502

I've experienced the exact same thing today. No matter how many times I plug it in or restart things it doesn't charge.

3. Emulsion macrumors 6502

Alright, well I just turned off and then on the iphone and now its showing that its almost all the way charged. You might want to try the same.

4. xXSL1MXx thread starter macrumors member

well I pressed the restore button on iTunes right after I read your post. I'll try that after. Thanks for your reply!

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Hopefully, you'll get it back to normal, but in the future it's not good to let it sit totally dead for an extended period of time.

6. xXSL1MXx thread starter macrumors member

FIX:
    I restored the phone and it had full battery! I didn't try the restart method but thanks for the suggestion!

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Same thing happened to me today too. It was stuck at 50% charge even after all night. I simply restarted the iPhone and it was full 100%.

Always start with the most basic troubleshooting technique. Restart the iPhone!

8. jfinke macrumors newbie

I have had that happen with my 3G several times. The solution that always works for me is to plug it in to a computer via USB and then reboot the computer. It apparently sends some kind of reset value to the iPhone. Before I learned that trick, I had tried hard resets, removal of the SIM card, etc. to no avail.

9. firewood macrumors 604

When your iPhone is completely discharged, use the wall plug charger, not USB. 1 Amp vs. 500 mA. Then, if necessary, reboot the phone after a few hours of charging.

10. BiggyG macrumors newbie

I've had this on my 3G a few times and the computer restore method has worked.

On the 3GS, a completely different story, it worked once, then just wouldn't come on again. Phoned o2 they sent me a brand new replacement next day (I'm on a business contract). It was only a month old at the time also.