Iphone 3G won't remember wifi passwords

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rr1073, Jul 30, 2008.

1. rr1073 macrumors newbie

My Iphone won't remember known wifi network passwords. So everytime I come into work or go home I have to enter the password to join the network! It's a PITA. Does anyone have any advise on how to solve this problem?

Thanks.

V 2.0 software. 16 GIG 3G.

2. rr1073 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. rr1073 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I am having this exact same problem. It seems to have started with 2.0.2, but that may just be a coincidence. The real pain is that my home network is hidden, too, so I have to choose "Other Network..." every time I get home. I usually have to do it after waking from sleep, too, even if I didn't leave the house.

Very frustrating and I can't seem to find an answer for why it stopped working. Maybe it's time for a full restore. :(

5. rr1073 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried a full restore and that didn't work. I have been to the "genius bar" twice and on the phone with Apple support. Apple support had me go through an entire restore with them on the phone. It didn't work. No one has an answer and no one can fix this problem. I have tried resetting my network connections. Putting a dollar sign in front of the password and everything else that has been suggested. Nothing works.

16 Gig Iphone 3G. V2.0.2.

6. rr1073 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK. I finally figured out what was wrong. Both my work and home wi fi networks had the same name (linksys) and the Iphone was getting confused by that. I ended up changing the name of my work wi fi network and now the Iphone is working perfectly. It remembers all the passwords and I don't have to enter them each time I use wi fi.

7. jca488 macrumors newbie

ok, so i had this problem and couldnt find any info for the longest time
    I followed these instructions and it works now!!!!

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9871617

main thing is,
    forget the networks both on iphone and mac
    restart your router. be it an airport, let the light go green.
    then add it right after your router's light goes green. (or your other router's wifi light goes on)

easy as that