iPhone 3G wont turn back on

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BCS829, Jan 30, 2010.

1. BCS829 macrumors newbie

Recently, the sound from the external speaker stopped working on my 3G (ringer, music, everything). The phone was out of warranty so I just decided to upgrade to the 3Gs.

Naturally, I wanted to fix the old 3G and sell it since it would be in fine working condition. I took the phone apart thinking that maybe the headphone jack or a loose speaker connection was the problem. I cleaned the dirt out of the headphone, made sure the speaker connection wasn't loose and reassembled.

When I went to turn the phone back on nothing happened. I tried plugging it into a computer, but again nothing happened. So, I tried taking it back apart and reassembling several times and nothing has changed.

A little bit of connection #3 was chipped off when I first opened the phone due to my haste of just pulling the ribbon out without releasing the clamp, but that alone shouldn't be enough to prevent the phone from even powering up right?

I feel silly, but what am I missing in putting the phone back together? Anyone have any ideas? Help would be much appreciated.

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

actually yes that could be the problem. type in "number 3 ribbon connector iphone" on ebay. buy it, i dont think they would be expensive, but i think i heard somewhere that that one was really important. idk. but anyway for now u can try holding down the power and home button for 10 seconds, if it doesnt turn on by 10 seconds just keep holding it down.

3. ChrTan macrumors newbie

Do one quick Test.

Connect Connector # 1 for LCD, Connector # 2 for Touch. Do *not* connect connector # 3. Make sure connector # 4 is connected properly.

Connect your iPhone to Wall Charger for 30 minutes, do not press any buttons. Your iPhone should come on, if Connector # 3 is an issue.