Iphone 3G won't turn on - Hardware failure?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nad8e, Feb 2, 2011.

1. nad8e macrumors regular

I've read through all the postings I can find on here about different button and plug-in sequences to boot/charge/so on. None seem to work for me this time. (They have in the past.)

The phone had very minimal battery left when I was laying in bed texting last night. It went dead with the little round dashes thing turning. I plugged it into the charger I use regularly. When I woke this morning: [
    • It will not turn on at all
    • Nothing will come up on the screen
    • Tried different charging cords on different outlets and on my :apple: MBP
    • Pulled the face off to verify internal cables were plugged in (done a few digitizer changes in the past)
    • Pulled the SIM card and put it back in
    • Tried all of the sequences of holding in power/home and plugging/unplugging I can find

After all this, I can get the phone to do nothing... Does this sound like a random hardware failure? Battery failure? Is there anyway to verify? :confused: Any other suggestions of what I can do to start the phone?

(The heated windshield in my RR randomly cracked in the garage last night too, so I'm not beyond believing ghosts did this.) :(

2. Boereman macrumors member

Boereman

^LOL

Maybe the dock connector had given up the ghost... See what i did there XD

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Try new battery or if you have friend with an iphone, open his and swap your logic board in an turn it on. I think most likely the battery is end of its life.

4. Boereman macrumors member

Boereman

Very possibly.

5. nad8e thread starter macrumors regular

None with an iPhone 3G who would let me open it up! :rolleyes: Maybe I could buy these parts online? :)

I've wondered if this could be the case... But, I would think the phone would still do something when plugged into a power source? Will a 3G work plugged into power with no battery inside?

I suppose I could yank the batt and take it to a battery store and have them test it?! :confused:

6. Boereman macrumors member

Boereman

You can get batteries online but you cannot buy logic boards at all.