Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

C3POh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
The upcoming 3G Apple iPhone Worth Nearly 800 bucks
June 8, 2008

Although we haven’t heard any official news from Cupertino just yet, Swisscom apparently already knows two very tasty tidbits about the upcoming 3G Apple iPhone.
First off, there will be at least two capacities available at launch. The 16GB iPhone with 3G got tagged by Swisscom at 659 Swiss francs. That works out to about $637. To get double the memory — that’s 32GB for those of you without a calculator — you’ll need to fork out about $772 to Swisscom. Naturally, we’ve got to assume that there is some sort of premium placed on the price of the 3G iPhone by Swisscom. At least I hope so. Nearly 800 bucks for an iPhone is a bit much.

THis was told by htlounge.net

C3POh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Swiss prices fro iPhones

Check the prices listed in Switzerland for an iPhone (1 swiss franc = 1 US dollar)

http://www.iswiss.ch/?gclid=COHG497i5JMCFQ0OuwodCBXW-Q

I-Phone 16Gb
iPhone is a revolutionary new mobile phone that allows you to make a call by simply tapping a name or number in your address book, a favorites list, or a call log. It also aut
919.00CHF-

I-Phone 8Gb
iPhone is a revolutionary new mobile phone that allows you to make a call by simply tapping a name or number in your address book, a favorites list, or a call log. It also aut
779.00CHF-

Comment

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
It could cost this much if the rumors about subsidies are true.

2-year contract = 800 dollar 3g iPhone costing 400

Comment

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
It seriously can't be that much, it'll have to be around the same price for Apple to even sell any of them.

Comment

C3POh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
swiss.jpg
Swisscom ads

Comment

g8bo

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
Switzerland - Zug
swiss.jpg
Swisscom ads

yeah, 4.4. is already 2 months in the past...

but the price around 800 CHF (a little less in $) is a reasonable price for our country! you americans would pay about half of its price, so it could be real!

for exemple, we've got an istitution who charges about 100 $ for a 32GB flash to the swiss interpreter (and for their annual five-star-dinner)!

how I hate this organisation! but what can I do? it's aproved by the swiss government... :mad:

Comment

moveteam

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2008
Copenhagen
Americans don't realize, us Europeans pay much more in general.

Why can't it be real? A 16 GB iPhone cost $650 in the UK (no way Apple will require 650 bucks ;))

Comment

g8bo

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
Switzerland - Zug
Maybe it's the price for an unlocked iPhone like we have in France (which cost about 749€) ? And what kind of iPhone is that on the picture with only three columns ? :confused:

maybe they photoshoped so you can better see each icon. and don't forget, this poster was never published by swisscom and i think that it was pointed out as a fake! so don't spend any more attention to it and just wait further 26h till you find out the truth! ;)

Comment

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
You have to remember when Europeans pay more for a product, they are paying also for their healthcare, their education, who and general welfare through higher taxes (which I happen to think is a good thing).

But you can't really compare prices across the board given that it's a different economic system.

Comment

moveteam

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2008
Copenhagen
You have to remember when Europeans pay more for a product, they are paying also for their healthcare, their education, who and general welfare through higher taxes (which I happen to think is a good thing).

But you can't really compare prices across the board given that it's a different economic system.
Yep of course, but some Americans think they have to pay $700-$800 for it, which is not the case.

Comment

Hockey man

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2008
That ad is a photoshopped fake.

It is a fake. The phone is only 3 icons wide in the ad when the real iPhone is 4 icons wide. :apple:

Comment

citron230

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
the is way too much. why would they jack up the price, then allow subsidies to bring the price back to where it was. doesn't make sense.

Comment

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
the is way too much. why would they jack up the price, then allow subsidies to bring the price back to where it was. doesn't make sense.

People who don't qualify for the subsidy would have to pay full price. Also, people who are bypassing AT&T and buying the phone to unlock it, etc. would most likely have to pay full price.

Comment

moveteam

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2008
Copenhagen
People who don't qualify for the subsidy would have to pay full price. Also, people who are bypassing AT&T and buying the phone to unlock it, etc. would most likely have to pay full price.
And also (if these prices are real) it's the price in Europe.

Comment

C3POh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
I wonder why the iphone is so much more expensive in Switzerland then in the US? The exchange rate is just about $1. = sFr 1. I wonder if it would be possible to buy an iphone in the US and us it in Switzerland? I mean without cracking it? Well, time shall tell....

Comment

Van Wildonher

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
When most new smartphones come out that's the price range they are in. However I don't think they will be any more than what they were when they first launched. Maybe the same price they are now. 399/499.

Comment

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
For starters many countries including the UK, Germany, and likely the US will be subsidising it. For example the current 8gb did cost £169, or about $300, when it was in stock of course.

Theres not a hope in hell Apple will be charging that, I can assure you.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.