iPhone 3G worth the upgrade despite battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Red Sox, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Red Sox macrumors regular

That's the only thing that's keeping me from upgrading from my original iPhone: the poor battery life. In your opinion, is it worth sacrificing battery life for 3G speeds and GPS?

2. Chronimac macrumors member

if you upgrade, you still have the option to leave 3g off, and remain on edge, in that case you have the same quality service and about 2 hours longer battery life.

3. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

That debatable. My experiences up to this point sure haven't proven this to be true. My phone gets horrible battery life, and that's with 3G off.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

location services off?
    screen brightness turned down?
    push option set to manual for every 15 minutes?

5. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

My phone actually gets the same if not better battery life, i have wifi off except when i need it, push is off, and auto brightness is off

6. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Actually, the push setting is the one thing I just have gotten around to trying yet. I'll give that a go and see if that helps.

Thanks for the reminder though. And interestingly, I remember getting really bad battery life when I was playing around with some of the first betas with my work Exchange account setup. Interesting.

Is push mail really that much of a drain?

7. Red Sox thread starter macrumors regular

Good point. Although it seems like a waste to buy an iPhone 3G and leave the 3G off all the time, I suppose it would be OK if I just turned it on when I want faster speeds for browsing. And it would be worth the other features like the headphone jack and better audio quality.

8. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

heres what i posted in another thread regarding the battery

last night i let it go to a little under 10%

let it charge over night starting around midnight and i believe i unplugged it around 7:30AM, sent/received maybe a dozen emails, went on the web for a little while. played a game for like 5minutes, and showed my sister the gps, which took a little while to find me in my house. i have 3g on all the time, wifi is off, auto brightness on. my yahoo is on push, and my gmail is on fetch every 15min and as of right now about 8 hours later, the battery is still more than 50%, how much more i dont know.

9. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

The battery life is pretty lousy as of now, but your battery needs to go through a couple of cycles before you get the full power of it. As of now, I have about 90% on the battery with 50 minutes of usage and 6 hours of standby. Not bad, but it may also hurt it because I have only 1-2 bars of 3G in my house.

10. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

what i noticed is that using gps sucks down the battery like theres no tomorrow.

11. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

just checked my usage

2hrs usage
    8hrs and 3minutes standby

12. maryamaz macrumors newbie

I've turned everything pretty much off and my screen brightness is at minimum, and I'm still having battery problems.

This plus the 3G reception (terrible) leads me to believe that there's some hardware issue right now. If I was in your position, I would wait a couple weeks at least until at least some of these problems can be resolved.

13. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

It's funny how the only way to improve the 3G iPhone is to disable 3G.

:D

14. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I walked out of the store yesterday around 11 AM with my brand new iPhone, which appeared to have a full charge. I did not take long for the battery to dwindle, and by 5:00-ish in the evening, I got the 10% warning and plugged it in to charge. I left it charging until around 11PM, unplugged it and went to bed.

This morning I woke up and have been playing with it, talking, texting, etc. off-and-on all day and the battery still looks full.

Makes me think that the "full" charge my iPhone had when I got it yesterday was not anywhere close to full, but instead a quick charge that doesn't last very long.

15. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

my battery has been pretty good. but i KNOW that using the gps for like 10minutes sucked down my battery pretty bad. but its still more than 50%. it would be like 75% if i never used it.

16. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I am getting much better battery life now that I let the battery completely drain and then fully charged the phone.

17. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I seem to get no more than 1-2 bars of 3G anywhere I go. I did get 5 full bars in one spot, but the speed of the connection registered at 240kbps, about the same speed as EDGE in some areas. Not sure if it's the phone or my area; we just got 3G turned on about a month ago and it's very spotty.