iPhone 3G XyloT3 Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by GeneticFreak84, Jul 14, 2008.

1. GeneticFreak84 macrumors regular

Anyone familiar with this site and their cases? I'm thinking about purchasing this one in particuluar (see link below).

Is it a clear hardshell that covers the entire phone? How tough is the shell? Will it break if dropped? Will the phone itself be damaged if dropped?

http://ivyskin.com/detail.php?proid=68#feature

Thanks!

2. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

looks interesting never seen a case that covered the whole phone including the screen up before

3. GeneticFreak84 thread starter macrumors regular

4. drpsych macrumors newbie

I've got one of these cases for the 2G iPhone, I'm not sure how tough the plastic is to be honest (as I've never dropped the phone!) but you can use the screen easily through the case (I've also got a screen protector on my phone and it works through this as well).

The only downside to the case is that it sometimes lets dust in around the openings but it is without a doubt the best iPhone case I have owned and many people comment on how sleek it looks, it doesn't add very much weight or bulk to the phone at all.

I ordered online from the Uk and my 2G case arrived four working days later so I have no problems with the delivery either. I have just ordered a case for my 3G phone and will post some pics and a review once it has arrived.

Previous to this I used the Otterbox case (http://www.otterbox.com/iphone-cases/iphone-defender-case/) which was also excellent but made the phone exceptionally bulky.

I hope this helps with your buying decision!:)

5. GeneticFreak84 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your response, Drpsych. Did you have any issues regarding fingerprints getting stuck on in the inside of the case?

Which would you recommend? The ivyskin case that covers the entire phone, or the Spec see-thru case that covers the entire phone minus the touch screen portion?

6. stlblufan macrumors regular

stlblufan

7. bmms8 macrumors 68020

call me crazy but is that even a real iphone 3g in the pictures? look at the sides of the screen, the plastic strip is really thick. i think i also saw some type of "camera" or sensor where the proximity sensors are..

8. GeneticFreak84 thread starter macrumors regular

9. kovalchuk71 macrumors 6502

So has anyone ordered this case? It looks nice and thin

10. GeneticFreak84 thread starter macrumors regular

I ordered it for my 3g iPhone. Hopefullyj I receive it sometime next week :eek:

11. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

That looks identical to the Gear4 IceBox Pro I bought from the AppleStore last week when I bought my iPhone. Yes it does cover the whole front face as well as the back (apart from a round cut out for the home button and a slot for the earpiece speaker) and it's great! Yes it adds a couple of mm width and depth but I feel much more confident about what will happen when (not if:eek:) I drop my iPhone...

12. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

Can you post a picture of your Gear4 Icebox Pro?
    Is it brushed aluminum?

13. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

14. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

the web site says the following:

http://www.gear4.com/product_detail.php?products_id=483

New! IceBox for iPhone 3G
    Crystal clear case with brushed metal front

Features:
    • Brushed aluminium front
    • Crystal clear, hard plastic back
    • Colour matched to iPod
    • Full access to all ports
    • Gear4 lanyard included

COMING SOON

AVAILABLE JULY 2008

I do not see where its brushed aluminum front in those pictures. That why I was asking it was aluminum..But this might not be the same one as the one in that other thread.

15. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Yeah mine says "IceBox Pro" on the box not just "IceBox for iPhone 3G" (see the pictures I posted in my other thread) - it's different from what's on the Gear4 website. But I bought mine off the shelf in the Apple Store last week so it's already available.

16. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

Cool dog!

I like the way it looks. Has it scratched up the back of your iphone yet?

17. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Not at all. When I first put it on (in a Starbucks opposite the Apple Store) I had already got fingerprints and smudges all over the screen of my iPhone. Later that day I wanted to get the IceBox case off to clean the phone properly before putting it back in and it took me about half an hour to figure out how to get the case off. (You need quite a long thumb-nail to push down in between where the two pieces clip together and then you sort of squeeze the edges of the back piece while sliding it upwards).

I remember having a Contour clear plastic hard case for my first iPod from 2002 that gouged scratches in the white plastic of the iPod when you took the case off (still got it actually, a 10GB first version of the ipod, with an actual wheel that turns round. Awesome! It's in a leather flip case now though).

However, this Gear4 one can be removed and put back on with no damage to the back of the iPhone at all (unless you had loads of hard grit particles or similar on the back of your iPhone and then rammed the IceBox case over them-I suppose that would scratch the iPhone back).

18. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Oh god do they have a naked case for like cheap..... Sorry but I need to pay for insurance on the phone and I'm strapped on cash.(NOT TRYING TO BE CHEAP)

19. GeneticFreak84 thread starter macrumors regular

20. Seibikitei macrumors member

In regards to the Ivyskin case, I ordered mine last Sunday (the 13th) and have yet to receive it. Yesterday I emailed them through their website and received a fairly prompt reply saying that they're back ordered until the 25th. Well, here's the actual email:

"Xylo T3 and Xylo duo 3G will be available to ship after July 25, 2008 according to ETA and every order ships based on the class of mail chosen and the date received, Please let us know if you prefer to wait or cancel your order, we apologize for any inconveniences and Thanks for your interests on our products."

So sounds like they sold out of their first lot and are waiting for more to arrive to ship out. I still have mine on order but I'm debating looking for something else at this point. Anyways, probably some useful information if you're thinking about ordering the ivyskin.

21. GeneticFreak84 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for posting that! That really sucks. I ordered mine a few days ago and I've been wondering why it keeps saying "Not yet shipped." :mad:

If I can find that Gear4 Ice Box case locally, I'd gladly buy it and cancel my ivyskin order...

22. kheovnien macrumors member

i believe the "brushed aluminum" is BLACK brushed aluminum. ur probably looking for a grey/silver aluminum. anyways, i like the back of this case more than the case-mate (cleaner) but it's not worth the extra $20 or so US dollars. :(

23. IP3G macrumors newbie

Wasent the whole purpose of taking off the aluminum was to make the frequency better by replacing with plastic?

24. redsoxunixgeek macrumors regular

redsoxunixgeek

And none of the icons associated (app store) with the iPhone 2.0

25. GeneticFreak84 thread starter macrumors regular

**update**

Due to high demands of Xylo T3 and Xylo Duo the ETA has been pushed ahead to 1st week of August :mad: