Iphone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hamza951, Mar 14, 2011.

1. hamza951 macrumors newbie

hey i have an Iphone 3g it is pretty dinged up and the power button doesnt work.
    Recently my iphone stopped working so I upgraded to 4.2.1 firmware. The first time I got an error on itunes can't remeber the code. The second time it worked but i noticed that i had to have the original sim to unlock the phone. I tried downgrading by putting the iphone into recovery mode with a windows application and that is thre last time it came on. I believe its in recovery mode right now and the screen doesnt come on. I know the screen is working. Itunes doesnt recognize the iphone and I dont have a power button. Should I just let the iphone bettery die? I think this is how it was working before because recently i tried putting the ipod on a 4 hour charge to see if it would make a difference. Please tell me if you need to know anything else.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I would downgrade it back to 3.1.3 and JB using spirit or redsnow.
    Since you updated it to official 4.2.1 you lost the unlockable baseband and not sure if you can install the ipad BB to unlock it without having a usable power button.
    In other words, you're SOL.

3. hamza951 thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont think you get it.

My iphone isnt turning on
    I dont have a power button
    Itunes doesnt recognize it

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you plug it in to a wall charger it should turn on.
    But either way you won't be able to use it unlocked again till the power button works.
    Either way sounds like it's messed up if it doesn't power on when plugged to a computer or to the power adapter.