iPhone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tchaap, Mar 24, 2009.

1. tchaap macrumors member

I have a first gen iPhone that I have dropped and the on/off button no longer works. I may attempt to get it fixed but I also thought of just buying a iPhone 3g off craigslist. If i do that and just switch my sim card, will I have to pay the $29.99/month data plan? Currently with the first gen iPhone I pay $19.99

Thanks,
    TC

2. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you're going to be using AT&T, they'll see the iPhone 3G on the network and add the 3G data plan.

4. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Yeah, even if you just switch em, 3G will be added to the plan. An extra $10 for what your paying now.

5. dave006 macrumors 68020

Currently AT&T is not adding the iPhone data plans, they have the right to add a valid iPhone data plan if you have activated an iPhone on an iPhone plan. It is cleary listed in the Terms of Agreement.

Data Plans: An eligible data plan for iPhone is required. This data plan covers data usage in the U.S. and does not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using iPhone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.​

Currently AT&T is sweeping their network for iPhones that are using invalid data plans. You may receive a SMS Txt message concerning the use of an invalid data plan and a request to call Customer Care to correct the problem. Anything beyond this is just internet rumors at this point.

In your specific case, you can just take the SIM out of your original iPhone and put it into iPhone 3G and it will work. You can even restore your original iPhone backup onto the iPhone 3G. Just make sure that you turn on 3G since once you restore it will initially default to "Edge".

Dave