Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illusionistik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
my iphone 3gs was previously 3.1.2 firmware and i used my brother laptop that already had blackra1n installed so i used it and it looked fine then it just got bricked? it just doesnt turn on and when i plug it in computer it just says its in recovery mode and needs to be recovered.

So I thought I would just recover it to 3.1.3 but i wanted to avoid that step and go straight to 3.1.2 so that i can instantly jailbreak it correctly this time. I search around youtube and find a download for 3.1.2 firmware and i follow the steps and im supposed to do shift+and click restore on itunes and browse the download all looks swell until when it says preparing for recovery and it just comes with the (1600) error code.

Not sure what i should do :s

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
Do you have a tethered jailbreak or untethered? You cannot simply shift+restore to a custom firmware on a 3GS unless your phone is currently jailbroken AND has an untethered jailbreak.

If you want to restore to a stock 3.1.2, again, shift+restore wont work. You need to have your SHSH saved on cydia.

illusionistik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Do you have a tethered jailbreak or untethered? You cannot simply shift+restore to a custom firmware on a 3GS unless your phone is currently jailbroken AND has an untethered jailbreak.

If you want to restore to a stock 3.1.2, again, shift+restore wont work. You need to have your SHSH saved on cydia.

yeah learned the hard way that you can't downgrade from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 with iphone 3gs which i even read around that you can downgrade but didnt know for specific phones, i said my fone was never jb'd correctly so i didnt have cydia or anything yet so its done for me im just gonna sell my phone and get a new one. thanks :D

linking me to thelatinists post about accidentally upgrading woulda helped :D

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
yeah learned the hard way that you can't downgrade from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 with iphone 3gs which i even read around that you can downgrade but didnt know for specific phones, i said my fone was never jb'd correctly so i didnt have cydia or anything yet so its done for me im just gonna sell my phone and get a new one. thanks :D

linking me to thelatinists post about accidentally upgrading woulda helped :D

You never said you actually went through with the update. You said you wanted to skip that and stay at 3.1.2. I misunderstood. Sorry :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.