iPhone 3GS (3.1.2 jb) won't turn off

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cmm, Nov 6, 2010.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

My phone has stopped ringing (people call, it just rings and they get no voicemail) for the past two days. Only one call has made it through, and of course, that interrupted an important meeting. :/

Seems people aren't getting my text messages, either... yesterday I sent one and just spoke to them, they said they didn't receive it. I sent said person another one at that point (about an hour ago) and they did receive it.

Anyway, I want to turn off my phone, then turn it back on, hoping that will help.

Battery still charges; everything else seems to work fine.

Can someone please help me? Once I can restart the phone, I plan on updating to 4.1.x

Thanks!

2. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If you have the SHSH files saved for 3.1.2, put the iPhone in DFU mode and restore. iclarfied.com has a guide on how to restore using the shsh files.

Then if you want to upgrade to 4.1 using Pwnage Tool if you have a Mac.

4. cmm, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi

I do have a mac. I think I used redn0w or PwnageTool to jb but am unsure.

I just looked - I don't have the SHSH files saved. I do have these - are they relevant? iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Custom_Restore.ipsw and iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw .

What are my options? I don't have anything on my phone that I can't restore in an hour, so I'm fine with wiping it and starting fresh, so long as then I can jb?

This is the whole folder I have that I saved called "Pwnage3.1.2" and "Pwnage" (I don't know how relevant any of this is? I am on 3.1.2 - I really need to jailbreak to allow for tethering when I upgrade to the 4.1.x series...):

Pwnage3.1.2:

CommCenter
    CommCenter-backup
    CommCenter_3gs_312>CommCenter.patch
    iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Custom_Restore.ipsw
    iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw

Pwnage:

iBEC.n88ap.RELEASE.dfu
    iBSS.n88ap.RELEASE.dfu
    nohup.out

Thank you!

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

6. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. There shouldn't be any problems after jb since I can't turn off the phone now?

What is BB?

Is there an unlock for 4.1 now?

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

BB= Baseband
    There is a jb for 4.1 and the unlock uses older BB's so w/ PwnageTool (ONLY ONE for 3GS) you get to keep the older BB w/ a newer firmware so you can be in 4.1 jb and unlocked so make sure to follow the instructions I linked you earlier. (files needed to download are linked inside the instructions as links)

Are you sure you can't turn it off?
    1-To 'Force Quit' an iPhone application, hold down the Home button for up to 5 seconds.
    2-To force a reset (when #1 does not work), hold down the Power and Home buttons together for 10 seconds.
    3-To force shutdown, just press down the power button first, followed by the home button. Hold the 2 buttons down until your screen changes.

8. cmm, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have tried all three methods. I contnue to get voice control. Any advice?

EDIT:Got it (#2). Thanks!