iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 => 4.2

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Kadin, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Kadin, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011

Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I just got a used 3GS which is still on 3.1.3 with baseband 5.12.01 and it's restored having never been jailbroken or unlocked.

What is the simplest process to get this up to 4.2 and jb it? Also, can I unlock it in the process?

[edit] After further research, it seems that without any blobbs saved, I'm pretty much only able to upgrade to 4.2.1 and wait like everyone else for the current jb/unlock solutions to present themselves...

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You can use PwnageTool to upgrade to 4.2.1 (while preserving the baseband). Ultrasn0w then can be used to unlock if needed.

The new version of GreenPois0n will give you an untethered jailbreak.

3. LucasG macrumors regular

LucasG

4. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Well I have it on 4.2.1 now with 6.15.00 baseband and it's jailbroken via redsn0w 0.9.6rc8. I thought this was still a tethered jb, glad to see it's not. I assumed it was better to have the iPad baseband instead of the 5.15.04. SHSH is now updated with Cydia at 4.2.1+. We'll see how it goes from here...

An unlock isn't terribly important at this point but down the road I'd like to still do it. Oh and I currently only have a PC so Pwnage wasn't an option unfortunately...

5. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

So... stupid question... I just ran ultrasn0w and it appears to have worked fine. I don't have another non-AT&T sim to test though. Is there a way to see if it worked out fine? According to the info, with the baseband I mentioned above it said it would unlock it. Is this right?

6. mik0 macrumors newbie

If it lets you use any other SIM card, then it should me you're good to go. Ultrasn0w allows unlocking for 6.15 bb, so you should be good by now.

7. LucasG macrumors regular

LucasG

According to what I've read upgrading the baseband to the iPad version can end up leaving the GPS broken. I'd rather stick with the current 5.13 and wait for the PwnageTool to upgrade to 4.2.1 and maintain the baseband (since it seems there is nothing useful on those bb upgrades)

8. mik0 macrumors newbie

I don't think losing the GPS with bb 6.15 is always the case. Mine works fine! iPhone 3G on 3.1.3.. bb 6.15

9. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Well since I'm now on bb 6.15.00, how would I go about restoring it to a different more reliable version? GPS is definitely something I can't lose. Again, I don't have anything prior to 4.2.1 blobs saved...

10. mik0, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011

mik0 macrumors newbie

11. LucasG macrumors regular

LucasG

You can't downgrade/restore the baseband, if that's what you're asking.

12. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Yeah I kinda figured as much since 4.2.1 and my bb aren't the correct versions with each other. Going forward with a new iOS verion, what's going to be involved with changing up to it? Basically a custom ipsw that allows me to upgrade without changing the bb?

13. mik0 macrumors newbie

14. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Sorry, should have been more clear. No I'm completely good where I'm at right now. The phone is jailbroken and unlocked. I was just wondering what to expect for future versions since this is a unique way it's done currently.

15. mik0 macrumors newbie

Well, from what I read on multiple forums, we'll have to wait and see what's in store when new updates come out since we're on 6.15. I'm not exactly sure.

16. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

So it appears that my GPS is in fact, pretty messed up. I'm gonna give it a bit more time but right now it's consistently showing me around 2-3 miles away from various locations. It's not a deal breaker but it makes 'Find My iPhone' pretty useless along with getting lost. Luckily the latter doesn't happen much these days... ;)