iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 - Preparing for Sale

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jerbop, Jun 23, 2010.

1. jerbop macrumors newbie

With all of the information floating around, I was hoping to get some simple advice for my situation before I purchase the new iPhone 4 tomorrow.

I have a 32GB 3GS that was purchased on release day last year (I'm assuming old bootrom). It is currently running OS 3.1.3 and it has NEVER been jailbroken before.

I would like to erase all settings and content, jailbreak, and unlock the phone, and then sell it. It seems I can get much more money for the phone if it is unlocked.

How can I accomplish my goal? Can I simply Erase everything on the phone itself and then do a Spirit jailbreak, followed by the new Ultrasn0w unlock?

2. jlmitnick macrumors regular

The problem is, since you never jailbroke, you don't have your 3.1.3 SHSH saved on Cydia's server, so after you erase all the settings and content, you'll be forced to go up to iOS 4.

You should jailbreak first, then put your 3.1.3 SHSH up, edit your hosts file, then proceed to erase everything, and then put 3.1.3 back on, and jailbreak/unlock.

Assuming you can even put up a 3.1.3 SHSH at this point...I think you might be SOL because apple is no longer signing that (I don't know exactly how the SHSH thing generates to get saved onto Cydia's server).

3. Imsuperjp macrumors 6502

I think you might be fine as long as you don't do a restore

4. jerbop thread starter macrumors newbie

Understood. Can anyone confirm whether I can put up a 3.1.3 SHSH right now? I think I definitely need to restore the phone prior to selling it because I don't want the future owner having access to any of my data.

5. jerbop thread starter macrumors newbie

Simply put: Given that I am still running 3.1.3, is there any way for me to jailbreak using Spirit, then unlock using Ultrasn0w and erase my personal information without doing a full restore? The method above seems very simple, but I want to make sure the future owner doesn't have access to my personal data.

6. jerbop thread starter macrumors newbie