Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
why are they terrible?

Because they're so dull, however if they wanted to use truly high grade diamonds, this thing would've cost a lot more. When you walk into a Harry Winston, Tiffany's, Cartier, or other high end jewelry boutique you can see diamonds glistening and sparkling like disco balls from all the way across the store. So, from the looks of it, these diamonds look pretty unclear and low grade.

ikaka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Because they're so dull, however if they wanted to use truly high grade diamonds, this thing would've cost a lot more. When you walk into a Harry Winston, Tiffany's, Cartier, or other high end jewelry boutique you can see diamonds glistening and sparkling like disco balls from all the way across the store. So, from the looks of it, these diamonds look pretty unclear and low grade.

They look like sparkle on the video, but as one user mentioned here blue once or maybe even red would be nice. But I don't have that much money to spend on one anyway. My next buy on a list is an ssd hard drive :)

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA
They look like sparkle on the video, but as one user mentioned here blue once or maybe even red would be nice. But I don't have that much money to spend on one anyway. My next buy on a list is an ssd hard drive :)

Even with the money, I still wouldn't buy something like this. I'm opposed to how 90% of the world's diamonds are obtained. I don't like diamond encrusted anything, nor gold much either. To me, gold serves a better purpose lining satellites and other delicate equipment, and excessive use of diamonds is just cheesy and looks like an excessive amount of effort is being made to grab attention, as if the object couldn't have otherwise gained attention without being plastered in diamonds. Silver and platinum, on the other hand, look more modern and subtle, and they're still high quality materials. It's like a beautiful woman or an exotic car; you can dress them up in whatever and however you like, but they'll always look great. There are luxury items that make subtle statements and reflect true hard work. Then there are gaudy, "new money," items like this...diamond iphone, that, to me, are just cheesy and reflect confusion and insecurity by saying, "hey, so I've heard and seen that diamonds are the shizz so guess I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and scream, LOOK AT ME!" No originality, no class....just a rapper's delight. Cheese balls.

But what I'm saying is pretty broad and even vague, considering how you constitute a flashy item vs. a subtle one.... I say I don't like diamonds, though I love Lamborghini's. So you could say I'm a hypocrite because if I were staying totally true to what I've been saying, then I should be a fan of Porches' and Aston Martin's because they fall under the "understated luxury," category. Guess I'm just another hypocrite! :D damn me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.