iPhone 3gs 32GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Potmaster, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Potmaster macrumors newbie

Hi there,, its me again...my iPhone 3gs 32GB (Black) was working well till one day while i was charging it on my macbook .. then mac disabled it saying that it was drawing too much power then its battery ran down slowly till it went off. Then when i tried it to charge again through mac, wall socket, in my friends laptop but it only showed only red blink with box but did not charged..does anybody has any idea that my iPhone 3gs 32GB is not accepting charge ie. it wont either turn on neither it charges..i did a lot of things like hard reset...left the battery completely to discharge,,,but nothing worked...then i took it to the nearest apple store here in Nepal, but they said that rather it is a hardware issue than the software.. They said that charging IC of iPhone should be replaced and it almost cost $100 and worst then that ,,they don't have it now but will come soon...so i think that paying $ 100 for that is a good idea or not ..Worst than that they said that it is not sure that it will be repaired..So is there any iPhone genius that could really help me out...thanks in advance...

2. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Uh, it sounds like your battery is ****ed 6 ways from Sunday. May want to prepare to get a new phone. :(

Edit - I mention the new phone part because if they're "not sure it will fix it" you may want to not waste that $100 on a maybe.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Apple's iPhone warranty Service for the iPhone 3GS is $149. Significantly less than a new phone (unless you're eligible for upgrade and okay with getting an 8GB iPhone 3GS for $.01 from AT&T, or an 8GB iPhone 4 for $99).

That said, it's worth as least taking it to an Apple store if you're near one, to see what they'll do for you. A battery replacement may be all it needs, which runs $79.

4. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

Actually, this is a problem with the cord I believe and not the phone. Try a different cord.

5. Blazer24K macrumors member

Blazer24K

I'm actually having the same problem with mine. I've owned this phone since it's launch with no problems. No drops, no water damage, excellent condition. Then just the other morning, my iphone-friendly clock radio (which I've plugged it into every night to charge for 2 years) left the phone uncharged. I figured it was a fluke, so I tried my wall charger - no charge. Then I tried my iMac when I got the - "USB device is drawing too much power" warning. All three methods used different plugs, so it seems to be the phone, not the cords.

Resetting the phone seems to "trick" the iMac temporarily and I'll get it to charge up a bit, but after about a 25% charge the "too much power" warning pops back up and I have to reset the phone again. My clock radio seems to not work at all anymore, and the wall charger and car chargers are both kerplunk as well...

This would be the first Apple device I've ever owned that's gone bad on me, and it's really going to suck if I can't find a fix that won't cost me as much as a new phone.