iPhone 3GS 4.2.1 Crashes, Other Symptoms

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Geekstra, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Geekstra macrumors newbie

So my iPhone 3GS on 4.2.1 crashes constantly. I will be sending a text, or playing a game and it crashes to a black screen instantly, with the image of what I was doing burned into the screen for a few moments (kind of like turning off a CRT monitor). When attempting to turn it on afterwards it shows the Apple logo but crashes during bootup, or else it will simply tell me my battery is dead, and I will proceed to plugging it in and then it says that the battery is at 50-100%. I did a full restore last night and when it was at 100% battery I played a game to cause it to crash (takes minutes), and then when it booted back up after plugging it in, it says the battery was at 56%!

Anyone ever heard of these symptoms? I haven't seen anything on the net of the OS just crashing to a black screen with the image burned in, and then saying the battery is dead when it isn't.

Any help would be appreciated, btw this has been going on for like 3 months and it has crippled my iPhone to be solely just an SMS machine.

2. stefanwa macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem with my 3GS! You are not alone, but I have no solution yet. Maybe just a battery replacement would fix it? I think I will send it in to Apple next week. Any users here with the same problem sent it to Apple? What was replaced?

Steve

3. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

well, it's obviously power related and swapping out the battery is the easiest first step in troubleshooting this issue.

4. unidjay macrumors newbie

I have the same issue

Any one that could share some info on this its getting annoying.

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Did you swap your battery yet?

6. detroitslim, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

detroitslim macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same problem & just posted in another thread as well.

Is there any confirmation that it's a battery problem? I'm going to take a run at replacing my battery & see how that works.'

EDIT: after a little more digging, I feel fairly certain that it's a dead battery issue. I've ordered a replacement and will see how that fixes things.

7. BlankStar macrumors regular

Same problem here, any updates? Someone tried replacing the battery?

8. stefanwa macrumors newbie

To report back on this issue...
    I solved the problem entirely by replacing the battery! I did it by myself as my phone was already out of warranty. It was not such of a great deal actually. I watched some youtube videos showing the process.

Try to replace the battery, at least it worked for my phone!
    Good luck!