iPhone 3GS 4.2.1 : Installing Greenpois0n over redsn0w

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by venkatkumar, Feb 9, 2011.

1. venkatkumar macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have tried to understand the unlocking process from the various threads posted here, but ended up more confused :)

I have an iphone 3GS 4.2.1 (BB 05.15.04). As I understand, i need to upgrade the BB to 6.15.00 to be able to unlock it.

Firstly, to jailbreak I am looking at 2 options : redsn0w 0.9.6 beta5 (tethered) and greenpois0n (untethered).

redsn0w will upgrade the baseband to an iPad BB and I will be able to run ultrasn0w to unlock the phone. (I suppose you need to save SHSH blogs for this). On the other hand, greenpois0n seems to be straightforward J/B option and also untethered (which i prefer), but won't upgrade the BB thereby not able to run ultrasn0w.

Can i follow the below steps to untether J/B and unlock my phone?

1) Use redsn0w to J/B and upgrade the baseband.
    2) Run greenpois0n over redsn0w to J/B again for getting an untethered jailbroken phone.
    3) Run ultrasn0w to unlock the phone.

I am not sure if there is a way to untethered jailbreak with redsn0w so that i don't need to use greenpois0n. Also, are there any potential issues with the above steps? Please suggest.

2. MDiddy macrumors regular

MDiddy

Yes I just did this. My 3GS is working fine on T-Mobile now

3. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

Hey, my sister currently had a 3GS unlocked with a 6.15 baseband. It is tethered jailbreak via RedSn0w. There will be no problems if I just take her phone a run GreenPois0n to untether it? I won't lose the unlock?

Thanks

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

OP, It's actually not even as complicated as the steps you've described.

Run Redsn0w, and just click install iPad baseband, you don't even have to install Cydia. After that's done, run GP and jailbreak. Then Ultrasn0w to unlock. Redsn0w and GP can be done in either order.

EDIT: The only real risks for this process is installing the iPad baseband (6.15.00). You will completely lose GPS functionality (boo hoo), your warranty will be gone permanently, and it will be harder to restore your firmware back to a stock one. But other than that I found that it worked really well!