iPhone 3GS, 4 or 5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by combataran, Sep 12, 2011.

1. combataran, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

combataran macrumors member

combataran

Edit:I just need a phone that has iOS on it.
    My questions here is, should I just get the 3GS, mainly 'cos it's the cheapest it's ever gonna go, or get the 4/5 when it comes out?

Usually, the latest iPhone would be kinda pricey in my country.

Oh, and I already have an iPad 2(wifi+3g).

Which one should I get?

2. ataboc macrumors 6502

3. jimothyGator macrumors regular

jimothyGator

Here's my advice in general, without regard to Maxis and their rates:

The main price of a smartphone is not the price of the phone itself, but the plan. Therefore, I say if you can't afford a (U.S.) $199 phone, you probably can't afford the plan. Conversely, if you can afford the plan, you can probably afford the current generation phone, which has real advantages over the previous phone.

So, today, I'd advise waiting for the iPhone 5 and getting it (rather than getting the iPhone 4 at a reduced price), or getting no smart phone at all. A third option, for the budget constrained, would be to get a used iPhone and see if you can get a voice only or data only (depending upon your needs) plan.

In your case, as a college student, it certainly sounds like money is an issue. You might want to consider whether a smartphone data plan is affordable for you right now. On the other hand, it looks like you'd get a discounted plan if you go with the older iPhone, so that's something to consider.

I apologize that's not much help, but good luck!

4. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

You would be a fool to buy a 3GS on a 24 month plan.

The phone is already 2 years old. it will struggle with iOS5, and likely have features withheld. (remember how much iOS4 screwed up the iPhone3?).

Now think ahead when you're 18 months into your plan:

An iPhone 3GS will be almost 5 years old technology.

If you get a deal buying one outright then get sure, otherwise buy the newer model, or a phone you can afford.