Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hssky97

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Hey Forum! I am planning on buying an iPhone 3Gs 8Gb from Gamestop.com @ $160 and I want to jailbreak/unlock it for use on T-Mobile. Yes, I know about the EDGE speeds but it's affordable, so what the heck.
So I got a few questions, sorry if I'm a little fuzzy, it's been a while since I unlocked an iPhone.

1.) If I get an old-bootrom am I problem free to unlock/jailbreak on 5.xx?
2.) If I get a new-bootroom I just have to boot tethered on 5.xx right?
3.) Now, if the phone was made after the 35th week in 2011 is it possible to even unlock on 5.xx?

I kinda need firmware that's up to date because I'm going to use it for App development and I'd rather use 5.xx on an ACTUAL device rather than the simulator.

Thanks,
-H

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hey Forum! I am planning on buying an iPhone 3Gs 8Gb from Gamestop.com @ $160 and I want to jailbreak/unlock it for use on T-Mobile. Yes, I know about the EDGE speeds but it's affordable, so what the heck.
So I got a few questions, sorry if I'm a little fuzzy, it's been a while since I unlocked an iPhone.

1.) If I get an old-bootrom am I problem free to unlock/jailbreak on 5.xx?
2.) If I get a new-bootroom I just have to boot tethered on 5.xx right?
3.) Now, if the phone was made after the 35th week in 2011 is it possible to even unlock on 5.xx?

I kinda need firmware that's up to date because I'm going to use it for App development and I'd rather use 5.xx on an ACTUAL device rather than the simulator.

Thanks,
-H

You need to investigate the baseband
All 3GS old bootrom are untethered on 5.x.x
New bootrom are untethered on 5.0.1, tethered on 5.1
You cannot use iPad baseband on new 3GS phones made after 28th week of 2011 (xx128xxx)

http://bit.ly/zFf6tB

hssky97

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
You need to investigate the baseband
All 3GS old bootrom are untethered on 5.x.x
New bootrom are untethered on 5.0.1, tethered on 5.1
You cannot use iPad baseband on new 3GS phones made after 28th week of 2011 (xx128xxx)

http://bit.ly/zFf6tB

Thanks! So, if I get the one made after the 28th week of '11, I'm screwed right? And there's NO WAY to unlock it at all? :confused: What's the probability that I get one from gamestop thats made after the 28th wk in 11'?

Thanks
-H

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Thanks! So, if I get the one made after the 28th week of '11, I'm screwed right? And there's NO WAY to unlock it at all? :confused: What's the probability that I get one from gamestop thats made after the 28th wk in 11'?

Thanks
-H

yes if it's after the 28th week you can fry your baseband making it a paper weight. and if it's after the 28th you are sol for now at least. gamestop buy and resells iphones so there is no way to know. do what Dave dhlizard said!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.