iPhone 3GS 8GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by melterx12, Jul 3, 2010.

1. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

I dont understand, who would buy the iPhone 3GS 8GB for $99 instead of the 16GB iPhone 4 for just $100 more?

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Did you really need to ask this?

The obvious difference is price.
    If you only have $99 + tax then you can't get an iPhone 4. Simple.

Also, not everybody wants/likes the new design and features.

ALSO, some might be put off by all the "problems" of the new iPhone 4 and just get a 3GS.

ANOTHER ALSO,
    Maybe they don't want/need a while 16gb's.

Many reasons.

3. Stein357 macrumors 6502

Some people simply don't want or need the iPhone 4 and the 3GS is fine for them.

4. melterx12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i cant imagine who would pay $99 for a phone with a 2 year contract, but not $199 for the newer, better, and higher storage capacity phone with the same 2 year contract. Also if someone wants the 3GS, why not get the iPhone 4, sell it on ebay, and buy a 3GS and get a 200$+ profit?

5. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Sir, clearly you've lost your mind.

Steve Jobs

-Sent from my Awesome Phone

6. melterx12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

+1, I would understand if we were talking abotu iPhone 2G design transition to 3G design, but if you think the 3G design is better than iPhone 4's, you sir are on drugs.

7. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

It being better is completely a matter of opinion. Some people will hate the new design, but love the old one.
    Also not everyone is going to be story a million songs/movies/games etc on their phone so have no need for a big memory capacity.
    Some people may just want a simple phone that they can use for Internet/phonecalls/texting and won't lose signal when touched or break when dropped. The 3Gs does that.

Not everyone is like us, they don't all want the next new thing, they just want something that works.

8. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I want a 3GS instead of iPhone 4. Clearly the physical design of iPhone 4 isn't practical antennae wise (no other phones have their antennae exposed in this way).

Also, I don't like how it has glass on both sides. I feel 3GS feels better and contours to the hand better.

I hope that answered your question.

9. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

10. melterx12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

drugs are illegal.

11. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I was referring to mloffa's post. And yes, I am on drugs. :p

-Steve Jobby Job Jobs

Sent from my Really Awesome iPhone

12. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

I have to admit, I'm my short time messing with an iPhone 4 in the shop while I wait to be eligible to upgrade, I do miss the curve of the 3Gs on the back.

13. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I am sorry Mr. Jesus H. Jobs.

I shall never speak of the iPhone 4 in this manner ever again. ;)

14. aneftp macrumors 601

Business wise. It makes much more sense to buy a 16gb iPhone 4.

Sell it for a minimum of $650 cash (that bare minimal price) and they could sell at that low price in less than an hour on craiglist.

So their "profit" would be at least $400.

Than go back on craiglist and since they are flooded with used 16g/32gb 3GS. Many of which are still mint and under warranty.

Many people selling mint 3GS are perfectly happy dumping the 16gb 3GS for $200-250. And the 32gb 3GS for $250/325. These are mint condition phones. Prices are so low because AT&T moved up so many people upgrade dates so it's a supply/demand and simple flooded with used 3GS phones.

That's the option I would take if I wanted a 3GS instead of an iPhone 4.

15. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Why make a thread where you can't even provide a counter-argument?

Try wordpress.com next time for thoughtful rants ;)

16. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

Not everyone has an extra $100 laying around.

17. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Not everyone have the same idea as you do

Everyone has their own preferences

18. cfink macrumors member

This is a pretty straightforward question to answer and it already has been.

The main group of people that are getting the new 8GB 3GS are older folks.
    Or at least older than your typical iPhone 4 user (40+).

My parents both want the 3GS now, they think I was crazy for getting rid of my 3GS for the 4 - while I think they are crazy for not wanting the 4.

Fink :apple:

19. Reser macrumors 6502

my sister got the 8gb 3GS.. funny thing? It has exactly the same reception problem as Iphone 4, and yet using my 32gb 3GS side by side no problem on my 3GS. Makes me think might be some new defective parts they are using and not the antenna being on the outside.

Sister got 8gb 3GS as it was completely free on a cheap contract whereas iPhone 4 was £116.

20. mantan macrumors 68000

The people who frquent this kind of board aren't the market for the 8gig 3GS.

But my wife is a potential customer. She doesn't care if she has the latest or greatest. She doesn't have a smartphone. She's also pretty rough on her phone, tossing it in her purse, on the counter, etc.

A $99 3GS with the 200mb plan is a cost effective way to get her an iPhone to see if she will like it. I could spend twice as much on an iPhone 4 That she wouldn't use 80% of the improvements and would likely break.

Apple isn't stupid. They know an 8 gig 3GS is cheap way to break in new customers. They are betting a good percentage of customers like my wife will get hooked.

If she does, I'll give her my iPhone 4 when I'm eligible to upgrade next June.